1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with vectors

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have two vectors: one with a speed of 3 m/s to the northwest, let's call this vector a, and we also have a vector b moving to the west with a speed of 5 m/s.

Determine: a + b, a - b and a - 2b

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to put the vectors in terms of unit vectors, but that didn't work, then I tried to use Pythagoras' Theorem, but that wasn't right either. I'm getting really frustrated with this problem! :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

you need a coordinate system so that you can put vectors into component form
    a = ( , ) ; b = ( , ) then addition becames simple. so first determine a set of axes and then give your vectors the appropriate coordinates before moving on. shall need some simple trig I think

4. Aug 4, 2007 #3
    Could you show me how to do this?

5. Aug 4, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Basically, what you just said you tried. Since you don't show how you tried, I don't know why it "didn't work".

"one with a speed of 3 m/s to the northwest, let's call this vector a, and we also have a vector b moving to the west with a speed of 5 m/s."
    Okay, so [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] has equal [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] components except that the [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] component is negative. Set it up as a right triangle with legs x and x, hypotenuse of length 3. Use the Pythagorean theorem to determine x. The vector is [itex]-x\vec{i}+ x\vec{j}[/itex].

b is due west with "length" 5 so it should be easy to write it in [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}[/itex] form!

Once you have those two, the arithmetic is simple.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  6. Aug 4, 2007 #5

mjsd

Homework Helper

ok, let me give u an example.

take the N direction as your +ve y-axis direction and E as your +ve x-axis direction. then a velocity vector pointing at S with magnitude 2m/s has a vector form based on this set of coord sys of
    v=(0,-2)
    and for a velocity vector pointing at say SW with magnitude [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] m/s has
    u=(-1,-1)

7. Aug 5, 2007 #6
    I'm sorry I didn't show how I did it, but I don't have internet right now. I will show how I did it when I have internet.

8. Aug 5, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As everyone else has said you need to find the components of the vectors and then the calculations are fairly easy. In this situation south-north will be the y-axis and west to east will be the x-axis of a cartesian coordinate system. The unit vectors will then be [itex]\mathbf{\hat{i}} [/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{j}} [/itex]. You know the magnitude of the vectors so you can work out the components.

[tex] |\mathbf{a}|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex]

For vector a you know that the x and y components must be the same and for vector b you know the y component is 0.

Post your attempt when you get a chance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?