Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with Voltage Dividers

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    i know this is a very basic question, but there's something i don't understand about voltage dividers.Vout is supposed to be(v2/V2+v1)* V, or the voltage drop across a resistor, but i don't see how this works in practice. When you put a load across the output, this changes the voltage drop of all the resistors in the circuit, so how is a voltage divider useful if you can't have a constant out value.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2
    It's "constant" within limits. Quiz-Question: For Vin=10V and a desired Vout=5V, how would you design the voltage divider if you want to stay within, say, 5% your nominal value when you connect a load of 1kΩ?

4. Nov 18, 2012 #3
    Also, they are used when you need to give an input signal to a high impedance load. For example, if you have 5V and need a reference voltage of 3.3V to, say, an OP-AMP, you could use a voltage divider to get those 3.3V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook