Problematic Synthesis of Sodium Acetate

• Thread starter cotarded
  • Start date
Recovering Sodium Acetate from solution

Hi. I'm fortunate that my dad has links with labs and got me some industrial quality Sodium Acetate. However, i'm not too sure if its the anhydrous form or the tri-hydrate. Its very VERY very fine powders. Does anyone know?

Anyways, i havent tried the 'hot-ice' experiment yet as i'm slightly apprehensive about wasting any Sodium Acetate - I dont have much, probably just half an ordinarry cup full.

My question is on the recovery of Sodium acetate. So lets say i've had my fun with crystallising it. How do i go on from here to get back my Sodium Acetate powder (recycle) for further use? Should i just add water to the crystals to dissolve them and then evaporate to dryness?

Secondly, I'd like to know how long should the glass filled with the supersaturated solution of Sodium Acetate should be kept cold in the freezer. Is there any particular duration or a preferred duration?

Thanks.
Chemistry is just so amazing :-)

Manraj Singh
Singapore

mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
Hi. I'm fortunate that my dad has links with labs and got me some industrial quality Sodium Acetate. However, i'm not too sure if its the anhydrous form or the tri-hydrate. Its very VERY very fine powders. Does anyone know?
If you attempt to dehydrate the anhydrous form of some salt, nothing will happen (except maybe it will decompose if you get it too hot).
If you attempt to dehydrate the hydrated form of a salt, the salt will loose the water molecules and turn into the anhydrous form. You can tell if water will given off by a change in the mass of the sample. If you put a sample of a known mass into the oven for a hour and when you take it out the mass has significantly dropped, it is a pretty good guess you had the hydrated form to start out with.

My question is on the recovery of Sodium acetate. So lets say i've had my fun with crystallising it. How do i go on from here to get back my Sodium Acetate powder (recycle) for further use? Should i just add water to the crystals to dissolve them and then evaporate to dryness?
That is what I would do.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

The trihydrate and the anhydride have very different melting points. The trihydrate melts at 58C and the anhydride melts at 328C.

NO! Just recover the crystals when you have them and place them in an oven. Redissolving the crystals in water and then removing the water you just added only wastes time and brings you back, eventually, to where you started.

Secondly, I'd like to know how long should the glass filled with the supersaturated solution of Sodium Acetate should be kept cold in the freezer. Is there any particular duration or a preferred duration?

You shouldn't need a freezer for this experiment. If you do place the supersaturated solution in the freezer you need only wait until the temperature is somewhat below the temperature at which the solution is supercooled. Bigger samples with small surface area to volume ratio will take the longest to chill. If you do the experiment correctly, anything below 40C will be cold enough... no freezer required.