1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems about numbers and bijective functions

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Prove that any finite sequence of digits is a starting sequence of digits for some power of 2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This one seems easy, i first thought about binary system ( sum of power of 2)
    then: suppose the random finite sequence is ai (sorry about the underline, i dont know how to make bar over letters)
    need to prove that for every ai there exist bi and n such that aibi = 2n
    or aix10k + bi = 2n
    we need 0 < bi < 10k
    the problem becomes, prove that for every ai, there exist n and k such that
    aix10k < 2n < (ai+1)x10k
    i'm still working on it...
    perhaps give me a hint on how to prove this or maybe there's a better way :redface:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Prove that for any function [itex]f(x): \mathbb{Q} \to \mathbb{Q} [/itex] there exist three bijective functions
    [itex]\phi_1: \mathbb{Q} \to \mathbb{Q} [/itex] ,[itex]\phi_2: \mathbb{Q} \to \mathbb{Q} [/itex] and [itex]\phi_3: \mathbb{Q} \to \mathbb{Q} [/itex] satisfying [itex]f(x) = \phi_1 +\phi_2 + \phi_3 [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where or how to start with this one :cry:
    should i use contradiction or something ?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?