1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems dealing w/ mirrors

1. May 31, 2005 #1
    I have 2 questions regarding mirrors:

If you look at yourself in a shiny Christmas tree ball with a diameter of 9.0 cm when your face is 30.0 cm away from it, where is your image? Is it real or virtual? Is it upright or inverted?

I know the mirror equation is:

(1/object distance) + (1/image distance) = 1/f
    I know that the object distance is 30.0 cm, but I am confused as to what the 9.0 cm represents. Do I divide that number in half to equal 4.5, and would that number be my radius of curvature? Also I don't understand how you tell if an image is real or virtual, and upright or inverted? Is it just inverted if the number is negative?

The other problem is:

How far from a concave mirror (radius 27 cm) must an object be placed if its image is to be at infinity?

To solve this I set up the mirror equation from above, except I rearranged it to be:
    (1/f) - (1/image distance) = (1/object distance)
    so to plug it in it would be:
    (1/13.5)-(1/infinity)=1/object distance
    I got the 13.5 by dividing the radius in half. However, I don't get how to solve this problem b/c you can't plug infinity into the calculator.

Please help! Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

first question. the focal length of any mirror is 1/r. You have been given the diameter, so now you need 1/2 the radius.

Also, all convex mirrors are diverging mirrors, so therfre the focal lengths are defined to be negative quantities. All images in a diverging mirror will always be virtual, upright, and reduced in size.

Second question: 1/infinity = zero
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?