Where to Find Challenging Problems for AP Physics C?

In summary, the speaker attends a top-ranked magnet high school and is taking AP Physics C without prior knowledge. They struggle with their teacher's difficult tests and textbook problems and are looking for more challenging practice problems. They also struggle with circular motion and are seeking tips and additional resources. The speaker mentions the possibility of sharing their test problems for further assistance. They also receive recommendations for additional textbooks such as Halliday/Resnick/Krane and Kleppner/Kolenkow, as well as Purcell for E&M.
sjwon3789
Hello,

Currently, I attend one of the most difficult HS in America (magnet school, ranks in top 10; won't specify for privacy) and I am currently taking AP Physics C without any prior physics knowledge. I have the hardest teacher among them all (apparently taught at MIT before). His problems for the test are really difficult and the problems we receive for homework/practice are textbook problems from Tipler and Halliday. I currently use the Tipler textbook to study prior to class (is this fine?) Where can I find more difficult problems that test you on Physics C knowledge, that go beyond the textbook problems, yet stay within the concepts of the AP (or the course in general)? The textbook problems are a joke compared to his tests. Also, I currently struggle in circular motion, which occasionally comes up with each concepts. I really have to understand them to heart, to know what to do in the problems my teacher gives.

We finished kinematics and forces and we will be studying on work/energy tomorrow.

Also, is there any other tips, or useful videos/guides out there?

I can send you the test problems if that helps with the level difficulty (I will probably be getting back my forces test this week -- so let me know). Most of the questions in the forces test was circular motion, so I struggled.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Halliday/Resnick/Krane has two volumes that are on par with Kleppner and Kolenkow's book on mechanics, but cover both Mechanics and E&M, so they'd be a good choice for Physics C imo.

You could also use Kleppner/Kolenkow if you've already had a calculus course, and Purcell for E&M if you're currently enrolled in a Calculus 3 course somewhere.

1. What is AP Physics C?

AP Physics C is an advanced placement physics course offered by the College Board. It covers both mechanics and electricity and magnetism, with a focus on calculus-based problem solving.

2. What are some common problems encountered in AP Physics C?

Some common problems encountered in AP Physics C include projectile motion, torque and rotational motion, and electric circuits. These problems often require students to apply multiple concepts and use calculus to solve them.

3. How can I prepare for AP Physics C problems?

To prepare for AP Physics C problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and basic physics concepts such as kinematics and forces. Practicing with past AP exam questions and completing challenging problem sets can also help improve problem solving skills.

4. What are some tips for solving AP Physics C problems?

Some tips for solving AP Physics C problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, drawing diagrams to visualize the situation, and breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable parts. It is also important to clearly label and define variables, and to consistently use correct units and significant figures in calculations.

5. How should I approach time management when solving AP Physics C problems?

Time management is crucial when solving AP Physics C problems, as the exam is timed and contains a large number of questions. It is important to allocate enough time for each problem, and to not spend too much time on any one question. If you are stuck on a problem, it may be better to move on and come back to it later, rather than spending too much time on it and potentially running out of time for other questions.