1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems from today calculus test

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    The exam is behind, but I'll have to repeat it at least once :-)

Here are two problems I wasn't able to solve:

\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n^2 \left[ \log \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right) - \sin \left( \frac{1}{n} \right) \right]

I tried to solve it using Taylor, but it didn't help me...

And the second one, which I didn't even try, because I didn't catch it:

Convergence and absolute convergence of this:

\sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} (-1)^{n} \arctan \left( \sqrt{n^2 + 1} - \sqrt{n^2 - 1} \right)

How should I do that? IMO it would be sufficient that the arctan goes to 0 and then the sum would converge (Leibniz's rule)...

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Use these approximations to show that your first expression tends to [tex]-\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
  4. Jan 19, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If [itex]\arctan \left( \sqrt{n^2 + 1} - \sqrt{n^2 - 1} \right)[/itex] decreases monotonically to zero, then the series converges. (It does)
    This is by the convergence criterium of Dirichlet, or a special case of it caled the Alternating Series test. It's probably the same rule you call Leibniz' rule. (He's already got so many rules with his name).
  5. Jan 19, 2005 #4
    Hmmm, I'm gallows-ripe. Now I found out why I wasn't able to solve this problem. In excercise book I have written the expansion of sin in a wrong way (without 'x' at the beginning)...
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  6. Jan 19, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

For these type of problems I always find variable substitution helpful. I'll assume the log is log base e. Is that right?

Let a=1/n , so the limit becomes:

\lim_{a \rightarrow 0} \frac {\left[ \log \left( 1 + a \right) - \sin \left( a \right) \right]} {a^2}

Use L'Hopital's rule twice, and you get the answer = -1/2
  7. Jan 20, 2005 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?