Problems involving finding proofs?

• Thread starter Alkatran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is looking for resources to improve their proof-solving skills and mentions a book titled "How to Prove It" by Velleman. However, they also express an interest in finding free resources and mention a website with interesting problems. Another person in the conversation strongly advises against buying the book mentioned and shares their negative experience with teaching from it.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Where can I find some good problems involving finding proofs? I want to see how far I can go as it's relatively new to me...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I recommend "How to Prove It" by Velleman:

Nice, but I was looking for a free ressource. I'm in no rush to learn it, as I probably won't run into it this year in university.

I would strongly recommend NOT buying Vellman, it's a stinking pile of poo, that just serves to retard the development of people's ability to actually prove anything. And I'm speaking from experience of teaching people who've worked from that book and are under the impression that to prove some statement such as if x is even x^2 is even it is sufficient to draw a sodding truth table.

1. What is the purpose of finding proofs in science?

Finding proofs in science is essential for validating theories and hypotheses. It allows scientists to provide evidence and support for their claims, leading to a better understanding of the natural world.

2. What are the common methods used to find proofs in science?

The most common methods used to find proofs in science include experimentation, observation, mathematical modeling, and peer review. These methods help to ensure the validity and reliability of the evidence presented.

3. How do scientists determine which evidence is reliable for a proof?

Scientists use a combination of critical thinking and the scientific method to determine the reliability of evidence. This involves carefully analyzing the data, conducting experiments, and replicating results to ensure consistency.

4. Can proofs be considered absolute truths in science?

No, proofs in science are not considered absolute truths. They are subject to change and modification as new evidence and information are discovered. However, they provide the most accurate and supported explanation at a given time.

5. How can finding proofs in science impact society?

Finding proofs in science can have a significant impact on society by influencing public policies, technological advancements, and our overall understanding of the world. It also helps to dispel misinformation and promote evidence-based decision making.