1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems involving maximum and minimum values

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    o:)
    here comes the question

A varianble rectangle is inscribed in a given semicircle, so that one side lies along the bounding diameter, and two vertices lie on the bounding arc.
    1 Show that wgeb tge area if tge rectangle is greatest, the sides of the rectangle are in the ratio 2:1

2 Show further that when the perimeter of the rectangle has a turning value the sides are in the ratio 4:1,
    and determine the nature of the turning value.

Ans:maximum

:surprised :rofl: :confused: :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2
    If youre going to post, please make sure your post makes sense, and please, follow.

4. May 30, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have a rectangle inscribed in a semi-circle (radius not given so call it R). One side of the rectangle is along the diameter of the semi-circle. If we call the length and width of the rectangle l and w, then the area is lw and the perimeter is 2l+ 2w.
    Now: can you write w (and therefore the area and perimeter) as a function of l only?
    What is the derivative, with respect to l, of the area and perimeter functions?

5. Jun 5, 2005 #4
    whozum

excuse me whozum, :bugeye:
    if i didn't try my best to figure out this question will i simply post it here??
    i had read the that section the first day soon after i become a member here.
    if i didn't put any effort on this questions will i put any extra effort to come here and type the question to post it up here????? i would rather ignore the question.
    BTW, this is not my homework, this is the exercises i make myself do as i didn't go for math tuition or extra classes.

6. Jun 5, 2005 #5
    HallsoftIvy

okei
    if u mention it that way,,,,,,,
    can the rectangle be rectangle when inscribed in it with one side of the length is the diameter of the semicircle?
    i tried to draw it before i post this question and i found that to be a shape like trapezium..?? :uhh:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  7. Jun 5, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's what inscribed means!

??? What do you have to do to get a rectangle, rather than a trapezium? Is the side on the diameter of the semicircle symmetric with respect to the center of that line?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?