Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems obtaining ferric oxide

1. Oct 9, 2004 #1
    I am making ferric oxide (Fe2O3) for a school project. I have immersed a piece of iron in a solution of tap water and salt (to allow for electrical conductivity). The piece of iron in attached to the positive terminal of a battery charger and the negative wire is attached to a section of graphite from a pencil. When i plug in the charger, the negative wire starts bubbling and after a while, a blueish-green substance begins to form at the bottom of the container and on the piece of iron.

What is this substance bluish-green? How do i correct my procedure to obtain rust?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What color is FeO? This is a pure guess on my part, but could you be making that?
  4. Oct 9, 2004 #3
    My guess is that it's an oxide of copper. The wire you're using is most-likely an alloy of it, and it is participating in the reaction.
  5. Oct 9, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Oct 17, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello, the bluish-green substance is more likely to be a copper compound rather than iron. The how and why of it is uncertain for now, it may involve electrochemical oxidation order.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?