1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems on Antidifferentiation

1. Jun 16, 2004 #1
    Problem: An art collector purchased for $1000 a painting by an artist whose works are currently increasing in value with respect to time according to the formula dV/dt = 5t^(3/2) + 10t + 50, where V dollars is the anticipated value of a painting t years after its purchase. If this formula were valid for the next 6 years, what would be the anticipated value of the painting 4 years from now?

My approach: The first I did is to antidifferentiate the dV/dt. I got
    V = 2t^(5/2) + 5t^2 + 50t + C. The next step.. I don't quite get it what to replace the value for t. When am I going to use 1000 for V, 6 for t and 4 for t?

I believe my answer must be higher than $1000, right? I don't how to substitute the appropriate values. Can you help me with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2004 #2
    Yes, you need to take the antiderivative.

Now apply the condition that V(0) = 1000 to determine C. This means you'll have an expression for V purely as a function of t.

Now evaluate V(4) using this expression.

cookiemonster

4. Jun 16, 2004 #3

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would plug in t = 4 to find V(t=4), the value of the painting at time = 4 years from now. The fact that the formula is valid for 6 years is simply that, a fact that tells you that you can use you're equation to find the expected value of the painting. To find the constant C in your equation, you should assume that the collector bought the painting at market value. This means that V(t=0) = $1000. (t=0 means right... now, which reminds me of a joke, but that's neither here nor there). I hope that helps.

EDIT: sorry about that cookiemonster; I should have refreshed the page before submitting my post.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  5. Jun 16, 2004 #4
    I got the answer, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?