Calculating Speed and Time on a Frictionless Roller Coaster

• Thread starter Clari
  • Start date
In summary, a point particle roller coaster with a mass of m and an initial speed of v0 starts at point A and travels to point B and C, which are both h units from the ground. The roller coaster is always on the track and mechanical energy is conserved. For part c of the question, if v0 is 0, the roller coaster will reach point B in an unknown amount of time.
Clari
A frictionless roller coaster of mas m starts at point A with speed v0. Assume that the roller coaster can be considered as a point particle and that it always remains on the track.

a.) what will be the speed of the roller coaster at point B and C?

P.S.: A and B are both ( h ) unit from the ground, and C is h/2 from the ground, and D is on the ground...B is xy unit from A, and C is xy unit from B too...and yz unit is D from C

Can someone please help me with me? Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical energy is conserved.
What does that mean?

oh, yes..I get it now...Thank you Arildno...^-^

For part c of this question: suppose v0 = 0, how long will it take the roller coaster to reach point B?

I have no idea how to answer it...>_< Please help.

1. What is curved motion?

Curved motion refers to the movement of an object along a curved path, rather than a straight line. It can occur in various contexts, such as circular motion, rotational motion, or motion along a curved surface.

2. What causes curved motion?

Curved motion is caused by a combination of forces acting on an object. These forces can include gravity, friction, and centripetal force. Without these forces, an object would continue to move in a straight line.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object moving along a curved path?

The acceleration of an object moving along a curved path can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the curved path.

4. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving along a curved path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle or curved path.

5. Can curved motion be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, curved motion is present in many real-life situations, such as the orbit of planets around the sun, the motion of objects on a Ferris wheel, and the movement of a car around a curved road. Understanding curved motion is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.