1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems on integers

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    Q 1:-
    Given a sequence kn=[(1+(-1)^n)+1]/5n+6..
    find the no of terms of the sequence kn which will satisfy the condition kn lies between 1/100 and 39/100.

Q 2:-
    Find the sum of all the irreducable fractions between 10 and 20 with a denominator of 3

Q 3:-
    Find all pairs of natural no s whose greatest common divisor is 5 and L.C.M is 105

i could really not do much about these so please help! Any assistance appreciated ..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what did you do? And why was this not posted under "homework help"?

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3
    See i don't know anything about forums..like where do we even get the section "homework help"..! anyways that's not the issue here.
    For the first question i tried to make the denominator 100 for which i got n in fraction now that if i put in numerator then in all probability it becomes a question of complex numbers which i don't know.For the second i am getting the answer uncountable or infinity and i don't know third

5. Oct 6, 2011 #4

uart

Science Advisor

There are none, as all the terms in the sequence are greater than 6.

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suppose you mean kn=[(1+(-1)n)+1]/(5n+6) .

The parentheses are important.

What you wrote literally means: [itex]k_n=\frac{(1+(-1)^n)+1}{5n}+6\,,[/itex] which is how uart likely interpreted it.

There are many numbers between 1/100 and 39/100 which don't have a denominator of 100.

How many terms of the sequence are between 0.01 and 0.39 ?

The terms of the sequence with n odd look much different from the terms with n even.

7. Oct 7, 2011 #6
    There are many numbers between 1/100 and 39/100 which don't have a denominator of 100.

[/QUOTE]
    yeah but i was trying to first find that n for which i shall get the limiting values;i mean 0.01 and 0.39. And i did not understand what you said in the second part

8. Oct 7, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If n is odd, (-1)n = -1 .

If n is even, (-1)n = 1 .

9. Oct 8, 2011 #8
    yeah right i also got till there but what when n is in decimal??

10. Oct 8, 2011 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

n is a positive integer.

It's a sequence we're talking about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook