Problems on partial derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of exact first order ODEs and the formula for finding the function V(x,y) satisfying the equation. The formula for dV is explained using the multivariate chain rule, and the concept of exact differential is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the meaning of dV and its relationship with V(x,y).
Tony Hau
So in my lecture notes on Differential Equations, it states that a first order ODE is exact if A(x,y)dx + B(x,y)dy = 0 and ∂A/∂y = ∂B/∂x. Okay I accept this definition.

Then, there is a sentence like this:
Our goal is to find the function V(x,y) satisfying
Adx + Bdy = dV = ∂V/∂x(dx) + ∂V/∂y(dy), where A(x,y) =∂V/∂x and B(x,y) =∂V/∂y.
I am confused here. Why dV = ∂V/∂x(dx) + ∂V/∂y(dy)? I think you can say that dx cancels with ∂x and dy cancels with ∂y and so it is the total change in infinitesimal V in both x and y direction. Is my concept correct? I am okay with the idea that dx cancels with dx but still, I am not really convinced that dx cancels with ∂x.

Physics news on Phys.org
The intuition is basically that if you change ##x## by a small amount ##dx##, then ##V## changes by the amount ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}dx## to first order (just think about the definition of partial derivative), and similarly for ##y##. So if you change both ##x## and ##y## simultaneously, then you get your formula for ##dV##.

A little more rigorously, the multivariate chain rule tells you that if ##x## and ##y## are functions of ##t##, then ##\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial V}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}.## This is essentially the same formula you have, written with derivatives instead of differentials.

Likes Tony Hau and PeroK
Tony Hau said:
So in my lecture notes on Differential Equations, it states that a first order ODE is exact if A(x,y)dx + B(x,y)dy = 0 and ∂A/∂y = ∂B/∂x. Okay I accept this definition.

Then, there is a sentence like this:
Our goal is to find the function V(x,y) satisfying
Adx + Bdy = dV = ∂V/∂x(dx) + ∂V/∂y(dy), where A(x,y) =∂V/∂x and B(x,y) =∂V/∂y.
I am confused here. Why dV = ∂V/∂x(dx) + ∂V/∂y(dy)? I think you can say that dx cancels with ∂x and dy cancels with ∂y and so it is the total change in infinitesimal V in both x and y direction. Is my concept correct? I am okay with the idea that dx cancels with dx but still, I am not really convinced that dx cancels with ∂x.

You can check out the idea with an example function. E.g. let
$$V(x, y) = xy^2 + x^3y$$
Then we have:
$$V(x + dx, y + dy) = (x + dx)(y + dy)^2 + (x + dx)^3(y + dy)$$
$$ = (x + dx)(y^2 + 2ydy) + (x^3 + 3x^2dx)(y + dy)$$
$$ = xy^2 + y^2dx + 2xydy + x^3y + x^3dy + 3x^2ydx$$
$$ = V(x, y) + (y^2 + 3x^2y)dx + (2xy + x^3)dy$$
$$ = V(x, y) + \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial V}{\partial y}dy$$
Where we dropped higher order differential terms.

I would get away from the idea that ##dx## and ##\partial x## "cancel" and think in terms of the multivariable chain rule.

Likes Tony Hau and Infrared
PS the idea of the exact differential is to work this in reverse. Suppose we start with:
$$dV = (y^2 + 3x^2y)dx + (2xy + x^3)dy$$
Then, knowing that in general we have:
$$dV = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial V}{\partial y}dy$$
We can equate these two and look for ##V(x, y)##, such that:
$$\frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = y^2 + 3x^2y, \ \text{and} \ \frac{\partial V}{\partial y} = 2xy + x^3$$

Likes Tony Hau
Well, I think you should look at your notes in multivariable calculus, the equation you have is basically the definition of ##df##, which can be defined as
$$df = \vec{\nabla} f \cdot d\vec{x}$$
or at least, any other definition should imply this relation very easily.

Gaussian97 said:
Well, I think you should look at your notes in multivariable calculus, the equation you have is basically the definition of ##df##, which can be defined as
$$df = \vec{\nabla} f \cdot d\vec{x}$$
or at least, any other definition should imply this relation very easily.
We didn't have such relationship. My professor in last semester just said that if we held x constant in f(x,y) and differentiate w.r.t y, we have ∂f(x,y)/∂y. I think the concept of ∂f(x,y) alone is rather loosely defined in mathematics and is more 'physics'. It is like the concept of 'cancelling dx with dx', which we do frequently in physics but not in maths.

Thanks for all your great answers! Especially the first few answers! I get the clear concept now.

Tony Hau said:
Thanks for your reply, but why is there a V(x,y) in the dV term? What does that mean?

By definition:
$$V(x +dx, y+dy) = V(x, y) + dV$$
That's what ##dV## means. It's the incremental change in ##V(x, y)## from incremental changes in ##x## and ##y##.

Likes Tony Hau
PeroK said:
By definition:
$$V(x +dx, y+dy) = V(x, y) + dV$$
That's what ##dV## means. It's the incremental change in ##V(x, y)## from incremental changes in ##x## and ##y##.
Got it! Thanks for your help!

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (the partial derivative symbol) followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken.

2. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a function changes in different directions in a multi-dimensional space. This is useful in many scientific fields, including physics, economics, and engineering, where variables often depend on multiple factors.

3. How do you calculate partial derivatives?

The process for calculating partial derivatives is similar to that of ordinary derivatives. To find the partial derivative of a function with respect to a variable, we treat all other variables as constants and use the usual rules of differentiation. This can be done for each variable in the function to find all of its partial derivatives.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative?

The main difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative is that a partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. An ordinary derivative, on the other hand, measures the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable.

5. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate the acceleration of an object moving in multiple dimensions, in economics to analyze the relationship between multiple factors and a specific outcome, and in engineering to optimize the design of complex systems. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to model and predict relationships between multiple variables.