Problems reformatting computer

• Thread starter z4955
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, dduardo said that you can't install xp in a computer that came with windows me, but you can install it if it has more memory. He also said that you can do a remote install with win98.
z4955
I'm having probs reformatting a computer with win 2000
every time I put the win 2000 disk into install windows I a gray box comes up: this installation must be installed to run. Plz run Setup fron the location where is originally installed the application

Computer science news on Phys.org
So you got it to boot properly now? If so, you must have one of those upgrade disks and not a full install cd.

it was upgraded from win ME to win 2000

so you mean I can't reformat the computer with this cd?

I'm not too familiar with upgrade disks but probably not. You'll need to get a hold of a full version copy.

so in order to reformat the computer I need to reformat it with windows ME and then upgrade it with the win 2000 cd?

If it is an upgrade cd then you need to install a previous version first. So yes.

the original win ME restore cd that came with the computer is lost. how can I get another one... or can I use one from the other computer which is win 98? Then upgrade to win 2000 from 98?

Didn't you see my PM?

I suggest that you just go out and buy XP...you caveman...it's way better despite what anyone says.

:)

will xp install and perform properly on a machine that came with win ME?

dduardo: I saw your pm, but my question was can I format and install win 98 from another computer to the computer I'm having probs with that came with win ME and was upgraded to win 2000

1) xp could work, but it depends on the computer's specs. I know XP runs fine on a 450Mhz computer with 128MB of ram.

2) I don't think you can do a remote install with win98.

You could do some DOS "deltree" command to delete the disk. I don't know how thorough it is though. You could also install Linux. When I recently installed Linux, it easily formatted my disk for me.

I agree with dduardo, I don't think it is possible to copy an entire OS from your computer and send the file over to another computer. Many things have to be installed and can't simply be copied.

Can you further explain what happens when you put the installation disk in?

the win 2000 disk wasn't a bootable disk the reason it wouldn't boot so I had to create startup boot floppies and then finally got to the setup mode. Instead of reformatting, it gave an option to do a repair which I did and it is working a lot better now. I downloaded and installed avg and spybot both of which would not install before. avg discovered and got rid of some viruses and now it seems to be working ok.

fyi
2) I don't think you can do a remote install with win98.

I think u can, most pxe enviroments are dos based, not to mention most enterprise clone software uses dos to perform any cloning of an os that can be distrubuted across a network...

however within the context I understand the question came from, you were right, I don't thnk you can mount a win98 cd across a netwrk

I wasn't asking if you could install an OS over a network or from one computer to another. My question was, "can xp be installed in a computer that came with windows me?" I now understand that it can, but needs more memory to run properly.

1. What is reformatting a computer?

Reformatting a computer is the process of erasing all the data on the hard drive and reinstalling the operating system. This removes any existing programs, files, and viruses, and restores the computer to its original factory settings.

2. Why do I need to reformat my computer?

Reformatting a computer is necessary when the system is infected with a virus, experiencing software or hardware issues, or when you want to start with a clean slate. It can also help improve the overall performance and speed of your computer.

3. How do I reformat my computer?

The process of reformatting a computer varies depending on the operating system. In general, you will need to back up all your important files, insert a bootable installation media, and follow the prompts to format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

4. Will reformatting my computer delete all my files?

Yes, reformatting a computer will erase all the data on the hard drive, including programs, files, and documents. It is important to back up any important files before proceeding with the reformatting process.

5. Can I reverse the reformatting process?

No, once a computer is reformatted, the data is permanently erased and cannot be recovered. It is important to make sure you have backed up all important files before proceeding with the reformatting process.