1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems regarding static equilibrium

1. Aug 6, 2004 #1
    Hey all... thanks for looking. I've got three questions that I'm having trouble with... I have some crap done on them, but I'm just plain stuck... can someone help me out with all 3??? I need to be done these like yesterday so I can get my mark to the university. :cry:

I scanned in the questions and attached them. One question is split between the scans (words on one and diagrams on another).

Steve

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These are both problems regarding static equilibrium. That means that you need to sum the forces in the x and y directions, set them equal to zero, and solve for your unknowns.

For the second problem, note that if an electric charge is at the origin, then its field is:

E(x,y)=kq/r2=kq/(x2+y2)1/2

If the charge is not at the origin, but rather is displaced by cx units in the x direction and cy units in the y direction, then the function is shifted, as follows:

E(x,y)=kq/[(x-cx)2+(y-cy)2)]1/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?