Why Isn't HTML Coding Working in IE11 Anymore?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing recent changes to the forum that have caused issues with formatting text using IE 11.0.9600. The users are experiencing problems with highlighting text and using formatting options such as bold, italics, and quotes. They have also encountered issues with using HTML code manually and changing preferences to fix the problem. There has also been a discussion about a previous version of the forum that had better usability and some users have suggested using alternative browsers like Firefox or Opera. However, using BBcodes instead of HTML seems to work as a temporary solution. Overall, the conversation highlights various issues with formatting and usability in IE 11.0.9600 that have caused frustration
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Specifically IE 11.0.9600

This has just started over the last week (or two at the most)
Not sure what very recent changes to the forum have happened in the background during this time frame ?

I cannot hilite a bit of text and click B, I, U for bold etc from the selection and make the text bold as in ... it doesn't give the <b> </b> etc
I cannot select a bit of text and select quote and get the <quote> </unquote> around that text

If I manually type the HTML code around the piece of text, it just shows it as text when the post is posted

eg <b>it just shows it as text when the post is posted</b>

text 23
That was supposed to be 2 to the power of 3 I tried to super script the 3 ... doesn't work

It seems that the coding isn't working for anything. I looked in my preferences just in case it can be turned on/off
I didn't see anything obvious ?

This is occurring on my Win 10 PC at home and my Win 7 PC at work ( which I am on at the moment)

Chrome and firefox are doing the html coding OK ,,,, but for various reasons I don't like the way they does other things
and only occasionally use ithem

Dave

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried w/ that version and have no problems. Why don't you switch over to a real browser like FireFox ? :smile:

I'm now continuing this reply using 11.0.9600 instead of firefox. What the hell? Now it doesn't work. I have the same problem you reported

OOPS ... I see you already said why you don't use the other browsers.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Trying an original post instead of a reply. Nope, doesn't work here either.

I can only conclude that I slipped a cog and my "try" w/ IE was actually w/ Firefox o:)

Likes davenn
Try clicking the little gear icon on the right-hand side of the toolbar for the panel in which you're typing. That toggles the BB-code smart editor on and off... I've found that it often comes up in the toggled-off, which is what you're describing.

Nugatory said:
Try clicking the little gear icon on the right-hand side of the toolbar for the panel in which you're typing. That toggles the BB-code smart editor on and off... I've found that it often comes up in the toggled-off, which is what you're describing.
Are you talking about the IE "tool" icon?

phinds said:
Are you talking about the IE "tool" icon?

View attachment 242993
No. There’s a similar gear icon in the toolbar for the panel you’re composing your message in. It’s right next to the save-draft icon, in the same toolbar as the editing controls.

davenn said:
If I manually type the HTML code around the piece of text, it just shows it as text when the post is posted

eg <b>it just shows it as text when the post is posted</b>
How about if you use the BBcode square brackets? [b] instead of <b>

Nugatory said:
No. There’s a similar gear icon in the toolbar for the panel you’re composing your message in. It’s right next to the save-draft icon, in the same toolbar as the editing controls.
Ok, tried that. It just turns all the format options gray. Toggling it again made them come back but they are still useless in IE 11 (this reply was done in IE 11 and formatting doesn't work)

Likes davenn
davenn said:
but for various reasons I don't like the way they does other things
Try opera. It's definitely better than IE. These problems will never occur in a stable version of opera.

Also, as proposed earlier, try using BBcodes instead of html and see what you get.

Wrichik Basu said:
Also, as proposed earlier, try using BBcodes instead of html and see what you get.
OK bold Yep that works, but it really isn't a solution to the fundamental problem

Likes davenn
Nugatory said:

phinds said:
Ok, tried that. It just turns all the format options gray. Toggling it again made them come back but they are still useless in IE 11 (this reply was done in IE 11 and formatting doesn't work)

yup likewise
Wrichik Basu said:
How about if you use the BBcode square brackets? instead of <b>

yeah it works but that's going to get extremely tedious having to do that a bunch of times in a post
for bolding super/subscripts quotes, media insertion and all the other things in that list

There was definitely a recent change!

The original incarnation of PF5 would refortmat the page to a very narrow column when attempting a Control-Left-Click-Drag to replicate some text.

Now that operation selects ALL the text on the page.

It's a bunch of these little usability backward steps that seem to have me spending a little less time here than I was.

Tom.G said:
The original incarnation of PF5 would refortmat the page to a very narrow column when attempting a Control-Left-Click-Drag to replicate some text.
I'm not experiencing that in FireFox

Not seeing it in IE 11 either

Uhmm... did you miss the next sentence?

Tom.G said:
Now that operation selects ALL the text on the page.

Tom.G said:
Uhmm... did you miss the next sentence?
No, I didn't. It doesn't do either of those things for me. I can select whatever text I want from a post and drag it into the reply box and it all works fine.

When I make a partial selection and then reply as a quote. . . I get this. . :confused:

That doesn't seem right to me ?

I just did the same thing and this is what I got:
OCR said:
That doesn't seem right to me ?

phinds said:
I just did the same thing and this is what I got:

Yeah, it works, did it look the same way in the reply box ?

My reply looked like this.

OCR said:
Yeah, it works, did it look the same way in the reply box ?
No. I did see what you saw in the reply box but when you "preview" it looks correct and when you post it looks correct. Still, you are right that it shouldn't be doing that.

phinds said:
No. I did see what you saw in the reply box but when you "preview" it looks correct and when you post it looks correct. Still, you are right that it shouldn't be doing that.

:check:

phinds said:
Why don't you switch over to a real browser like FireFox ?

Maybe not the day to be saying that, at least if you like extensions and themes.

Vanadium 50 said:
Maybe not the day to be saying that, at least if you like extensions and themes.
That has been fixed. . .

Browser extensions need to be signed by Mozilla before they can install...

Above from:
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Distribution_options

1. What are some common problems when using IE11?

Some common problems when using IE11 include slow performance, compatibility issues with certain websites, and frequent crashes or freezes.

2. Why does IE11 have compatibility issues with certain websites?

IE11 uses an older rendering engine compared to other modern browsers, which can cause compatibility issues with websites that are designed for newer browsers.

3. How can I improve the performance of IE11?

To improve the performance of IE11, you can try clearing your browser cache, disabling add-ons and extensions, and updating to the latest version of the browser. You can also try using a different browser for better performance.

4. Why does IE11 frequently crash or freeze?

IE11 may crash or freeze due to compatibility issues with certain websites, outdated browser versions, or conflicts with other software on your computer. It may also be caused by corrupted browser files or a lack of system resources.

5. Can I change the default settings of IE11 to improve performance?

Yes, you can change the default settings of IE11 to improve performance. Some settings that can help with performance include disabling hardware acceleration, reducing the number of tabs open, and clearing your browsing history regularly.