Problems while reading a mathematics books

In summary, In problem 1, the book says that x+ C, |x| \leq 1, while Viet Dao's answer says x+ C, |x| > 1. In problem 2, Viet Dao has never seen an absolute value in an integral before and is looking for help, but does not understand why the \frac{2}{3} \mbox{sgn} x appears in the equation. In summary, Viet Dao has correctly analyzed each of the three subproblems, but needs help putting them together to get the final answer.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
Hi,
I've come across some problems while reading a mathematics books.
1. The first problem is:
[tex]\int \max (1, x ^ 2) dx[/tex]
My answer is:
[tex]x + C, |x| \leq 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x ^ 3}{3} + C, |x| > 1[/tex]
But the book does not seem to agree with me. It reads:
[tex]x + C, |x| \leq 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x ^ 3}{3} +\frac{2}{3} \mbox{sgn} x + C, |x| > 1[/tex] :confused:
Why does the [tex]\frac{2}{3} \mbox{sgn} x[/tex] appears there?? What am I missing here? :confused:
2. The second problem is:
[tex]\int (|1 + x| - |1 - x|) dx[/tex]
I've never seen an absolute value in an integral before... What should I do?
Any help will be appreciated.
Viet Dao,

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't a clue about where that signum comes from in the first integral, but as for the second, abs(f(x)) = f(x)*sgn(x), and d(sgn(x))/dx = 0 except at x=0. Or you can do it by finding the integral of abs(x)dx and using substitution for abs(u)du for more complicated u(x). If you don't like writing sgn(x) in your answer, note that sgn(x) = x/|x| for x<>0 and 0 for x=0.

Last edited:
You appear to be assuming that x> 0 in your calculations. Certainly for x< 0, there will come a sharp change at x= -1 as well as your change at x= 1. I haven't worked out the calculation but certainly sgn(x) would be there to distinguish between x< 0 and x> 0. Your integrand is an even function so the integral will be an odd function.

1. Basically, the problem is this: you divided the problem into three subproblems, but you forgot that you need to put the three answers together to get your final answer! (and putting them together, while easy, is not trivial)

Your analysis on each of the three individual subproblems is correct, though. (Yes, I mean three, not two... think about it)

2. Do the same thing you did in 1: break the problem up into pieces.

If that isn't enough, recall that |x| = max(x, -x)

For problem 2, I think you can interpret it as the integral of 2*min(1,x)dx.

Uhmm, I didn't really get what you mean...
So I have:
[tex]f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll} x ^ 2 & \mbox{if } x < -1 \\ 1 & \mbox{if }-1 \leq x \leq 1 \\ x ^ 2 & \mbox{if } x > 1 \end{array} \right [/tex]
And I integrate each of them, then... how can I put them together?? Can you give me a small example, please?
Thanks,
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
You will have a constant of integration in each part- but your answer, the integral of the entire function, should have only one such constant. Requiring that the integral be continuous at -1 and 1 gives you two equations relating the three constants.

Uhmm, do you mean:
Let C1, C2, C3 be the constant of the first, second, and third integral.
So the two equation will be:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} \mathop{\lim} \limits_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{x ^ 3}{3} + C_1 = \mathop{\lim} \limits_{x \rightarrow -1} x + C_2 \\ \mathop{\lim} \limits_{x \rightarrow 1} x + C_2 = \mathop{\lim}\limits_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{x ^ 3}{3} + C_3 \end{array} \right [/tex]
Is that correct?
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
Use:
Code:
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 1}

=> [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 1}[/tex]

[tex]x>1: \int (|1 + x| - |1 - x|) dx = \int (1+x)-(x-1) dx = \int 2 dx = 2x + A[/tex]
[tex]-1<x<1: \int (|1+x| - |1-x|) dx = \int (1+x)-(1-x) dx = \int 2x dx = x^{2} + B[/tex]
[tex] x<-1: \int(|1+x| - |1-x|) dx = \int (-1-x)-(1-x) dx = \int -2 dx = -2x+C[/tex]

VietDao29 said:
Uhmm, do you mean:
Let C1, C2, C3 be the constant of the first, second, and third integral.
So the two equation will be:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{x ^ 3}{3} + C_1 = \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} x + C_2 \\ \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} x + C_2 = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{x ^ 3}{3} + C_3 \end{array} \right [/tex]
Is that correct?
-----------

Yes, that's correct. And since those are continuous functions you have:
[itex]-\frac{1}{3}+ C_1= -1+ C_2[/itex] or [itex]C_2= C_1+ \frac{2}{3}[/itex] as well as [itex]1+ C_2= \frac{1}{3}+ C_3[/itex] so [itex]C_3= C_2+ \frac{2}{3}= C_1+ \frac{4}{3}[/itex].

Gaz031 said:
[tex]x>1: \int (|1 + x| - |1 - x|) dx = \int (1+x)-(x-1) dx = \int 2 dx = 2x + A[/tex]
[tex]-1<x<1: \int (|1+x| - |1-x|) dx = \int (1+x)-(1-x) dx = \int 2x dx = x^{2} + B[/tex]
[tex] x<-1: \int(|1+x| - |1-x|) dx = \int (-1-x)-(1-x) dx = \int -2 dx = -2x+C[/tex]

I don't understand. Are these related to the topic of this thread?

If these are intended as an additional example, again, you have to use the continuity of the integral to determine the constants.

At x= 1, 2x+ A= 2+ A= 1+ B= x2+ B so B= A+ 1.
At x= -1, x^2+ B= 1+ B= 2+ C= -2x+ C so C= B- 1= A

The integral is 2x+ A if x>1, [itex]x^2+ 1+ A[/itex] if [itex]-1\le x\le 1[/itex], and -2x+ A if x< -1.

Thanks a lot, I get it now. :smile:
Viet Dao,

1. Why do I struggle to understand concepts while reading a mathematics book?

Understanding mathematics concepts can be challenging because it requires a different way of thinking. It often involves abstract and logical reasoning, which can take time and practice to develop. Additionally, mathematics is a cumulative subject, meaning that if you miss or misunderstand one concept, it can impact your understanding of future concepts.

2. How can I improve my comprehension while reading a mathematics book?

One way to improve comprehension is to break down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks. This can involve taking notes, creating diagrams or visual aids, and practicing problems. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or working with a tutor.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem while reading a mathematics book?

If you get stuck on a problem, try taking a step back and re-reading the section or concept. It can also be helpful to rephrase the problem in your own words or seek out additional examples to clarify the concept. If you are still struggling, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

4. How can I stay motivated while reading a mathematics book?

Staying motivated can be challenging, especially when working through difficult concepts. One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals for yourself, whether it's completing a certain number of problems or understanding a specific concept. It can also be helpful to take breaks and reward yourself after completing a difficult section.

5. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed while reading a mathematics book?

If you feel overwhelmed, it's important to remember that it's normal to struggle with mathematics at times. Take a break and come back to the material with a fresh perspective. It can also be helpful to break the material into smaller chunks and focus on one concept at a time. Don't be afraid to seek out additional resources or ask for help if needed.