1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with a question

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

if f is a continuous function, find the value of the integral

I = definte integral int [ f(x) / f(x) + f(a-x) ] dx from 0 to a. by making the substitution u = a - x and adding the resulting integral to I.

this is one of the last questions in the thomas international edition calculus on substitution, for the life of me i cant see how to do this, a pointer on where to attack this would be very helpful, as i cant let it go!!!!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

ive obviously used the substitution which was in the question, but it doesnt really help, as when i change the variable, the resulting integral is just as bad, and i dont know how adding it to the I helps, i substituted f(x) = x, into the integral and got the answer a/2, but i cant repeat it for any other random functions. I believe a/2 is the right answer but how i got it was not the right method. help

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not that bad. It's just confusing. If you do the suggested substitution, your integrand is f(a-u)/(f(u)+f(a-u))*(-du). But now you should realize that instead of integrating x from 0 to a, you are integrating u from a to 0. So reverse the limits of integration introducing a - sign. This kills the minus sign on the du. Now do the harmless substitution u=x (it's just a dummy variable) and add it to your original integral. What's the integrand? What's your conclusion?

4. Nov 4, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, yeah, and welcome to the forums.

5. Nov 4, 2007 #4
    thanks very much for the reply, i followed your advice and the integrand i had was 1, which in turn leads to a when integrated, im a little confused over the dummy variable, is u=x because the limits of the integrand are still [0-a] when reversed? also the answer in the book is a/2, does this mean i have to half the answer as i have added another integrand and if so how does this work as the new integrand is of a different value as the numerator is f(a-x) on the new one as opposed to f(x) on the original which i also verifed when i put f(x) = x^2 into the new integrand trying to understand how it actually works. or have i calculated wrong??

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  6. Nov 5, 2007 #5
    forget that last reply, i figured it out this morning when i woke with a fresh head. the graphs have the same area but the new one comes from the other side, when f(x) = 0, then f(a-x)= a, when f(x)= a the f(a-x) = 0. painfully obvious now.
    this is website is a great idea, thanks again for your help

7. Nov 5, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got it. You're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?