What Does the |x=0 = dy dz Mean in the Physical Interpretation of Divergence?

• Thread starter Summer2442
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
In summary, the conversation discusses the physical interpretation of divergence in calculus and the concept of flux. The discussion includes a typo in the book regarding the flux into a small volume, and a question about a linear approximation of flux out of opposing faces. The concept of mass flow rate and Taylor's theorem are also mentioned.
Summer2442
Hello,

I am new to calculus, and am having problems with divergence, I was reading something to explain the physical interpretation of divergence and i got stuck in the very first part.

it says that if we have a small volume dxdydz at the origin, and that a fluid flowing into this volume from the positive x-direction per unit time, the the rate of flow in is
= ρvx|x=0 = dy dz,
where ρ is the density at (x, y, z), and vx is the velocity of the fluid in the x-direction, what does "|x=0 = dy dz" part mean.

Thanks Alot.

Physics news on Phys.org

"|x=0" probably means that the function, here ρvx, should be evaluauted at x=0. So they imagine the volume element as a cuboid with one vertex at the origin and the sides as dx, dy, and dz in the posotive directions. One face of the cuboid is then contained in the plane x=0.

The flux into the volume through this face is then ρvxdydz, so something seems wrong in what you wrote anyway.

Btw, you wrote "from the positive x-direction", but I assume that you meant "along the positive x-direction", so that positive vx is directed to the right.

yes what i meant is "along the positive x-direction"

but about the flux into the volume, i agree that it should be 'ρvxdydz' but i am pretty sure this is what the book says 'ρvx|x=0 = dy dz', i think its a mistake.

I have another question please, it then says that the flux out of the opposing face is
ρvx|x=dx dydz
which i understand but then it equates this equation with the following
[ρvx + ∂ (ρvx)/∂x dx] dydz
which i do not understand, how was the partial derivative introduced and why?

thanks,

Summer2442 said:
yes what i meant is "along the positive x-direction"

but about the flux into the volume, i agree that it should be 'ρvxdydz' but i am pretty sure this is what the book says 'ρvx|x=0 = dy dz', i think its a mistake.
Yes, it is a typo. It should be ρvx|x=0dxdy.

Summer2442 said:
I have another question please, it then says that the flux out of the opposing face is
ρvx|x=dx dydz
which i understand but then it equates this equation with the following
[ρvx + ∂ (ρvx)/∂x dx] dydz
which i do not understand, how was the partial derivative introduced and why?

thanks,
The second expression is a linear approximation of the first one.

Recall that (ρvx|x=dx - ρvx|x=0)/dx ≈ ∂(ρvx)/∂x|x=0.

i think it is talking about mass flow rate... density X velocity X area=flow rate..or more precisely mass flow rate..it says rho X V X x such that at x=0 area is dy dz..for differential element the area perpendicular to flow in x direction is dydz...
the second thing is taylor's theorem is being applied here..which means when fluid has flowed a length dx its mass flowrate has changed depnding upon dx..that is why patial derivative is introduced here..

Last edited:

Ok I get it now, thanks guys.

What is "divergence"?

Divergence is a term used in science to describe a situation in which a system or process is moving away from a certain point or state. It can refer to a variety of phenomena, such as the divergence of a vector field in physics or the divergence of a species in biology.

What are some examples of problems with divergence?

Some common examples of problems with divergence include the divergence of a population of animals, the divergence of an electric field in a circuit, or the divergence of data in a statistical analysis. In each of these cases, there is a noticeable trend of movement away from a central point or state.

What causes divergence?

Divergence can have a variety of causes, depending on the specific system or process in question. In some cases, it may be due to external factors such as environmental changes or competition for resources. In other cases, it may be due to internal factors such as genetic mutations or inherent instabilities in a system.

Why is divergence important in science?

Divergence is an important concept in science because it can help us understand and predict changes in systems over time. By studying patterns of divergence, scientists can gain insights into the underlying mechanisms driving these changes and potentially develop strategies for managing or mitigating them.

Can divergence be a positive thing?

Yes, divergence can be a positive thing in certain contexts. For example, in biology, the divergence of a species can lead to increased biodiversity and adaptation to new environments. In technology, the divergence of ideas and approaches can lead to innovation and progress. However, in some cases, divergence can also have negative consequences, such as the extinction of a species or the breakdown of a system.