Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with file sharing programs

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    I haven't been able to get any file sharing programs to work with my computers connection. I'm using a school connection - T1 I think. I've tried Limewire, Ares, and WinMX. I got WinMX to connect and search, but nothing would download - they all just said Waiting for network response and then they eventually time out. The other two wouldn't even connect. Im using AVG for viruses and ZoneAlarm for a firewall. I setup ZL to give the programs full access and even tried shuting ZL and AVG down completely but that didn't change anything? Internet and AIM, etc work fine. Any Ideas? Im no expert so watch the lingo :). Thanks in advance.

Bryan

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2
    Sounds like the school connection is firewalled.

4. Aug 29, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Yes, it sounds like your school is blocking the common p2p ports.

5. Aug 29, 2005 #4
    That can't be it, none of my friends here have had any trouble.

6. Aug 30, 2005 #5
    A simple experiment would be to take your pc to a friends room where you know it works and try it. I have no idea of how the lan your connecting to is configured so it is possible that your going thru a different server than your friends. Also what OS are you running ? If it's XP there is a built-in firewall that may be screwing things up. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?