Why won't my LaTeX images show up in the PDF?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the speaker is having trouble installing and displaying packages in LaTeX, specifically related to inserting images and inserting text with special characters. They are advised to use a modern distribution or visit ctan.org for package resources, and to use specific commands or a verbatim environment for inserting special characters. Additionally, they are reminded that images must be in pdf or png format for pdflatex.
Nusc
Hi experts, I am having the following problems with LaTeX.

Where can I quickly install these packages:

\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{epstopdf}
\usepackage{epsf}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}

I enable them but my images won't appear in the pdf.

What's wrong? My image files are in .eps

Physics news on Phys.org
Also I want to have insert this text in latex

[2] http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Biographies/Russell_Scott.html

But the ~ won't show and the ll_S will create a subscript s which I don't want

how do I fix it? It says missing $ inserted

Those should all be in any modern (i.e. post 1996) distro. If you've really not got them, then you can always use ctan.org where all tex packages are kept.

The hack is to use \sim in mathmode for the tilde, though you should just put the whole thing in a verbatim environment. There are also \textunderscore commands too. And I forget the proper command for ~ in text mode. Try googling for how to insert html links into latex.

Last edited:
Also, for pdflatex, images must be in pdf or png, no eps.

1. What are the common problems encountered while using LaTeX?

Some common problems with LaTeX include formatting errors, missing packages, incompatible packages, and incorrect syntax.

2. Why is my document not compiling in LaTeX?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a missing or incompatible package, incorrect syntax, or an error in the document's structure. It is important to check for any error messages or warnings in the log file to identify the specific issue.

3. How do I fix formatting errors in my LaTeX document?

To fix formatting errors, it is important to check the document's code for any missing or incorrect commands, packages, or syntax. Using a LaTeX editor with a built-in spell checker and error detector can also help identify and fix formatting errors.

4. What should I do if I am unable to find a solution for my LaTeX problem online?

If you are unable to find a solution for your LaTeX problem online, you can try reaching out to the LaTeX community for help. There are many online forums and communities where experienced LaTeX users can provide assistance and solutions to various problems.

5. How can I prevent common problems with LaTeX?

To prevent common problems with LaTeX, it is important to have a good understanding of the language and its syntax. Using a LaTeX editor with a built-in spell checker and error detector can also help catch and fix errors before they become major problems. Regularly updating and maintaining your LaTeX packages can also prevent compatibility issues.