1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with limits

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to teach myself maths, and I have a couple of problems I can't figure out.

1. [itex]\lim\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n}\frac{2k-1}{2^k}[/itex]. I see that this is [itex]=\lim\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n}\frac{k}{2^{k-1}}-1[/itex] but I have no idea what to do with that. I tried writing it as [itex]\lim\frac{\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n}2^{n-k}k}{2^{n-1}}-1[/itex] and then writing the top as [itex]x_n[/itex] where [itex]x_1=1, x_k=2x_{k-1}+k[/itex], but I failed. I hardly have any experience with recurrence relations.. And it seems overly complex.

2. [itex]\lim\prod\limits_{j=1}^{n}(1+\frac{aj}{n^2}), a\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]. (It might be that a can only be positive, I don't remember..). I have no ideas about this at all. The answer is [itex]e^{a/2}[/itex], I think.
    A related question, is [itex]\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}(1+\frac{x}{n})^n=e^x[/itex] ? I don't see how that works..

Thanks for your time

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    To part 1: You apparently know the geometric series, right? If you express it in terms of
    [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n [/tex] and then look at the derivative with respect to r, what do you get?

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3
    To part 2: If I were you, I would expand the product into a power series in a and see if you can find the right coefficients. It might be a tedious task though.

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the first. It seems that I've solved the second:
    [itex]\lim\prod\limits_{j=1}^{n}(1+\frac{aj}{n^2})=\lim\\sqrt[n^2]{\prod\limits_{j=1}^{n}(1+\frac{aj}{n^2})^{n^2}}=\lim\sqrt[n^2]{\prod\limits_{j=1}^{n}e^{aj}}=\lim e^{\frac{a}{n^2}\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n}j}=\lim e^{\frac{a}{n^2}\frac{n(n+1)}{2}}=e^{a/2}[/itex]

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5
    Wow, that's what I call elegant :-o
    Well done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook