Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with mathematica code

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    Hello!

I'm writing a paper where I'm going to use markov models to evalute a device. My base for this paper is the paper written by H. Timbley. I have never used Mathematica before and thought that I would start by trying the complete code that Timbley has written in the appendix of the paper. The code is:

DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`;
    IndexOf[vector , e ] := Position[vector, e][[1, 1]];

device =
    {{"Clock", "Clock", "Clock", "Clock", "Clock", "Clock"},
    {"Quick Defrost", "Quick Defrost", "Quick Defrost",
    "Quick Defrost", "Quick Defrost", "Quick Defrost"},
    {"Timer1", "Timer1", "Timer2", "Timer1", "Timer2", "Timer1"},
    {"Clock", "Clock", "Clock", "Clock", "Clock", "Clock"},
    {"Clock", "Quick Defrost", "Power1",
    "Power2", "Power1", "Power2"}
    };

buttonNames = {"Clock", "Quick Defrost", "Time", "Clear", "Power"};
    stateNames = {"Clock", "Quick Defrost", "Timer1", "Timer2", "Power1",
    "Power2"};

numberOfStates = Length@stateNames;
    numberOfButtons = Length@buttonNames;

start = IndexOf[stateNames, "Power1"];
    goal = IndexOf[stateNames, "Power2"];

Until then the code work just fine, but when I type in the next section described in the appendix (see below), some error codes pop up.

Do[randomUser[[i, IndexOf[stateNames, device[[b, i]]]]] +=
    1/numberOfButtons, {b, numberOfButtons}, {i, numberOfStates}];

Error codes:
    Part::partw: Part 1 of {} does not exist. >>
    Part::pspec: Part specification {}[[1,1]] is neither a machine-sized integer nor a list of machine-sized integers. >>
    Part::partw: Part 1 of {} does not exist. >>
    Set::pspec: Part specification {}[[1,1]] is neither a machine-sized integer nor a list of machine-sized integers. >>
    Part::partw: Part 3 of {Quick Defrost,(Quick Defrost)^5} does not exist. >>
    General::stop: Further output of Part::partw will be suppressed during this calculation. >>
    Part::pspec: Part specification {}[[1,1]] is neither a machine-sized integer nor a list of machine-sized integers. >>
    Set::pspec: Part specification {}[[1,1]] is neither a machine-sized integer nor a list of machine-sized integers. >>
    General::stop: Further output of Part::pspec will be suppressed during this calculation. >>
    General::stop: Further output of Set::pspec will be suppressed during this calculation. >>

Is there anybody that could tell me what's wrong with the code?

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What version of Mathematica are you using? Because I get different error messages.

The problem seems to be that randomUser is not defined.

Can you give a reference for the paper you mention?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook