Trouble with Planetmath's Images?

• Thread starter MitsuZero
  • Start date
In summary, the main issues with Planetmath are outdated and inaccurate information, lack of moderation and quality control, and a limited scope of topics covered. To address these problems, Planetmath has implemented a community-driven editing system, a team of moderators, and an expanded scope of topics. Users can contribute to solving these problems by editing articles, reporting inaccuracies, and suggesting new topics. There are also alternative platforms to Planetmath, such as MathOverflow and MathStackExchange, which have more rigorous review and moderation processes. Whether or not Planetmath is a reliable source of information is subjective and depends on the accuracy and quality of the specific article in question. It is always recommended to cross-check information from multiple sources for critical or important information.
MitsuZero
Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing problems viewing any of the images on planetmath.com? Take for example:
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/GammaFunction.html
All the images (and hence the bulk of the information) simply does not appear. This seems to be the case regardless of browser.

Thanks.

P.S. I've installed the latex plugin for firefox to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I tested your page and it works for me. I don't have anything special installed, I'm using Firefox.

I have not personally experienced any issues with viewing images on Planetmath. However, I can suggest a few possible solutions for those who may be having trouble. Firstly, it may be helpful to clear your browser's cache and cookies, as this can sometimes resolve display issues on websites. Additionally, make sure that your browser and any plugins or extensions are up to date. Another option is to try accessing the website on a different device or network to see if the issue persists. If none of these solutions work, you may want to reach out to Planetmath's technical support for further assistance.

1. What are the main issues with Planetmath?

The main issues with Planetmath include outdated and inaccurate information, lack of moderation and quality control, and a limited scope of topics covered.

2. How does Planetmath address these problems?

Planetmath has implemented a community-driven editing system that allows users to update and improve existing articles. They also have a team of moderators who review and approve changes made by users. Additionally, they have expanded their scope to include more diverse and current topics.

3. Can users contribute to solving these problems?

Yes, users can contribute to solving these problems by editing and improving existing articles, reporting inaccurate information, and suggesting new topics to be covered. They can also participate in discussions and debates to improve the overall quality of content on Planetmath.

4. Are there any alternative platforms to Planetmath?

Yes, there are several alternative platforms to Planetmath, such as MathOverflow, Wolfram MathWorld, and MathStackExchange. These platforms have a more rigorous review and moderation process, and often have a larger community of experts contributing to the content.

5. Is Planetmath still a reliable source of information?

This is a subjective question as it ultimately depends on the accuracy and quality of the specific article in question. While Planetmath has had issues with outdated and inaccurate information, many articles have been updated and improved by the community. It is always recommended to cross-check information from multiple sources for critical or important information.