Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with Riemann function

1. Aug 7, 2004 #1
    let be the product R(s)R(s+a) with a a complex or real number..the i would like to know the limit Lim(s tends to e) being e a number so R(e)=0 ¿is there a number a so the limit is non-zero nor infinite?..thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It will only potentially be non-zero when [tex]\zeta(s)[/tex] has a pole at e+a. Of course this only happens when e+a=1. This limit will never be infinite, since this lone pole of [tex]\zeta(s)[/tex] is simple.

I say "potentially" non-zero, because the zero could have order 2 or more, making the limit zero. All known zeros to date have been simple, and it's suspected that they all are.
  4. Aug 8, 2004 #3
    Another question..could be proved that 1/R(s+1/2)=O(R(s)?
  5. Aug 8, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean [tex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{\zeta(1/2+it)}=O(\zeta(1/2+it))[/tex]? If so, no, since the left side has infinitely many poles.

Do you mean something else? I'm not sure what values of s you're considering, and the +1/2 makes me think of the critical line, hence my guess to your meaning.
  6. Aug 9, 2004 #5
    thanks again.... the equality 1/R(1/2+it)=O(R(1/2+it) is true?..

another question let be the Riemann zeta function inside the criticla strip 0<sigma<1 then ..is the product R(a+s)R(s) bounded in the sense exist a and b so a<[R(s+a)R(s)]<b where [x] is the modulus of x [x]=sqrt(x*.x) ?
  7. Aug 9, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Absolutely not. [tex]1/\zeta(1/2+it)[/tex] has poles for infinitely many values of t.

You're going to have to clarify what you mean by sqrt(x*.x).

There are bounds of the form [tex]\zeta(\sigma+it)=O(|t|^{k})[/tex] for any [tex]\sigma[/tex] fixed.The exponent k depends on [tex]\sigma[/tex]. For example, if [tex]\sigma=1/2[/tex], then [tex]k=1/6[/tex] will work (something slightly smaller than 1/6 is known to be true). If [tex]\sigma >1[/tex] then k=0 will work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?