Problems with thermometer

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermometer
In summary, using a full-size glass thermometer to measure the temperature of a thimbleful of hot water would not make sense due to the concept of thermal equilibrium. The thermometer would absorb a significant amount of thermal energy from the water, resulting in a highly inaccurate measurement. Additionally, the low mass of the water would further contribute to this inaccuracy compared to the higher mass of the thermometer.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Explain why it would not make sense to use a full-size glass thermometer to measure the temperature of a thimbleful of hot water.

Homework Equations

Concept of thermal equilibrium

The Attempt at a Solution

When a thermometer is in contact into a thermal system, thermal energy flows from the system to the thermometer or vice-versa until thermal equilibrium is established between the thermometer and the system. In this process, the system gains or loses thermal energy and so the temperature of the system will have changed. Therefore, a thermometer can only accurately measure the temperature of a heat reservoir.

In this case, the full-size glass thermometer absorbs a significant amount of thermal energy from the thimbleful of hot water, so the temperature measured is highly inaccurate.

Can you please check my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have put it very well. You could also have mentioned relative heat capacities of the water vs. the thermometer.

Well, the thermal energy lost by the water equals the thermal energy gained by the thermometer. So, mcΔθ for the water equals mcΔθ for the thermometer. The mass and specific heat capacity of the water are smaller than those for the thermometer. So, the temperature change of the water is much larger compared to the temperature of the water. This implies that the temperature of the water will not be measured accurately.

Is that right? I'm not sure about the magnitude of the specific heat capacity of a mercury-in-tube thermometer, so I am not sure if my answer is fully correct.

Excellent! While you bring up a good point - the specific heat of water is among the highest of any known substances - higher than glass or Hg - the low m of the water would more than make up for its high c. So your equation is most appropriate.

Yes, your answer is correct. A full-size glass thermometer is designed to measure the temperature of a larger volume of liquid, such as a heat reservoir. When it is used to measure the temperature of a thimbleful of hot water, the thermometer will absorb a significant amount of thermal energy from the water, causing the temperature of the water to change. This will result in an inaccurate measurement of the temperature. To accurately measure the temperature of a small volume of liquid, a more precise and specialized thermometer, such as a digital thermometer, should be used.

1. What are some common problems with a thermometer?

Some common problems with a thermometer include inaccurate readings, slow response time, and malfunctions such as broken or stuck components.

2. Why is my thermometer giving inconsistent readings?

Inconsistent readings can be caused by various factors such as improper use, calibration issues, or environmental factors such as temperature fluctuations or humidity.

3. How do I calibrate my thermometer?

To calibrate a thermometer, you can use a known accurate reference temperature source, such as ice water or boiling water, and adjust the thermometer accordingly. Some thermometers also have a calibration feature built-in.

4. What should I do if my thermometer is broken or damaged?

If your thermometer is broken or damaged, it is best to stop using it and replace it with a new one. Continuing to use a damaged thermometer can result in inaccurate readings and potentially cause harm.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my thermometer?

To ensure the accuracy of your thermometer, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and storage. Regularly calibrating your thermometer and replacing it when necessary can also help maintain accuracy.