Solving the First Equation: v1, v2, & ωR

In summary, the first equation is for the rotation of the line joining the mass centres, while the rotation of the ring about its own centre is clockwise to maintain zero total angular momentum. v1 is the velocity of the ring's mass centre in the ground frame, and v2 is the velocity of the bug in the ground frame. These velocities are equal and opposite to maintain zero total linear momentum. The ring does have some motion along the vertical plane, but we are only concerned with the instantaneous velocities at the starting position. It will soon look rather different. To minimize this problem, take the part of the circle where the bug is to be a straight line. Both angular momentum and linear momentum are conserved in the lab frame and the CM
Gourab_chill
Homework Statement
I have posted the question below. My question is how to form the equations to solve the question below.
Relevant Equations
v=ωr
Capture.PNG

I've marked correct answers above. Have a look at the solutions:
Capture1.PNG

How is the first equation justified? Shouldn't v2 and ωR be of opposite signs? What is v1? And how is it equal to v2? My biggest problem is the source of v1 since the ring is not having vertical displacement, then what is v1?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gourab_chill said:
Shouldn't v2 and ωR be of opposite signs?
Don't confuse the rotation of the line joining the mass centres, which will be anticlockwise, with the rotation of the ring about its own centre, which will therefore be clockwise so that total angular momentum remains zero.
ω is the rate of the latter.
Gourab_chill said:
What is v1? And how is it equal to v2?
v1 is the velocity of the ring's mass centre in the ground frame. v2 is the velocity of the bug in the ground frame. These must be equal and opposite so that total linear momentum remains zero.

haruspex said:
Don't confuse the rotation of the line joining the mass centres, which will be anticlockwise, with the rotation of the ring about its own centre, which will therefore be clockwise so that total angular momentum remains zero.
ω is the rate of the latter.

So, the first equation is for the rotation for line joining the center of masses. Okay. But, if the bug moves upwards (let's say) then the ring will rotate clockwise and so the direction of v1 and ωR would be same, right? Wouldn't they be of opposite signs? You did say the rotation will be anti-clockwise, am I mistaking somewhere or did you consider the bug to move down?
haruspex said:
v1 is the velocity of the ring's mass centre in the ground frame. v2 is the velocity of the bug in the ground frame. These must be equal and opposite so that total linear momentum remains zero.

So the ring does have some motion along the vertical plane right? It's kinda hard to visualize though. Can I conclude that the ring will keep bouncing all the time?

Gourab_chill said:
So, the first equation is for the rotation for line joining the center of masses.
No, I wrote "the latter", i.e. the rotation of the ring about its own centre.

Yes, it is hard to visualise. Part of the difficulty is that we are only concerned with the instantaneous velocities at the starting position. It will soon look rather different. To minimise this problem, take the part of the circle where the bug is to be a straight line.
Try drawing a diagram showing:
  • The initial positions of mass centre, ring centre and bug
  • Positions of ring centre, bug, and the point X on the ring where the bug started, after a short time t.
The mass centre does not move.
The ring centre will have moved down v1t, X will have moved further down, and the bug will have moved up v2t.

Last edited:
Likes Gourab_chill and etotheipi
It's a fiddly little thing. You need to be careful to think about in which frames of reference angular momentum and/or linear momentum are conserved. They're both conserved in the lab frame, and also in the CM frame of the whole system.

Once you've got that, it's more a matter of just being careful with the algebra in finding the correct relative velocities.

Likes Lnewqban

What is the first equation for solving v1, v2, and ωR?

The first equation for solving v1, v2, and ωR is v1 + v2 = ωR, where v1 is the initial velocity of an object, v2 is the final velocity of the object, and ωR is the angular velocity multiplied by the radius of the object.

How do I use the first equation to solve for v1, v2, and ωR?

To use the first equation, you need to have two of the three variables (v1, v2, and ωR) already known. You can then rearrange the equation to solve for the unknown variable.

What is the relationship between v1, v2, and ωR in the first equation?

The first equation shows that the initial and final velocities (v1 and v2) are directly related to the angular velocity (ω) and the radius (R) of the object. This means that changes in one variable will affect the other variables in the equation.

Can the first equation be used for any type of motion?

The first equation is specifically for rotational motion, where an object is moving in a circular path around an axis. It cannot be used for linear motion.

How does the first equation relate to other equations in physics?

The first equation is related to other equations in physics, such as the equations for linear motion, through the concept of conservation of energy. In rotational motion, the sum of kinetic and potential energy is conserved, just like in linear motion. The first equation is one way to express this conservation of energy in rotational motion.