1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with Work and Kinetic Energy

1. Oct 9, 2004 #1
    Hey, I have been fiddling with with problem all day today and I really have no idea how to even approach it. I was wondering if anyone could help shed some light onto it for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[HRW7 7.P.042.] A skier pulled by a tow rope up a frictionless ski slope that makes an angle of 12° with the horizontal. The rope moves parrallel to the slope with a constant speed of 1.0 m/s. The force of the rope does 950 J of work on the skier as the skier moves a distance of 8.0 m up the incline.

(a) If the rope moved with a constant speed of 2.0 m/s, how much work would the force of the rope do on the skier as the skier moved a distance of 8.0 m up the incline?
    ___________J
    (b) At what rate is the force of the rope doing work on the skier when the rope moves with a speed of 1.0 m/s?
    __________W
    (c) At what rate is the force of the rope doing work on the skier when the rope moves with a speed of 2.0 m/s?
    ________W

Thanks so much!

-Ashley

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2004 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

What have you done?

Do you know?

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} W_{i} = \Delta K [/tex]

4. Oct 9, 2004 #3
    well Im not very good at physics (at all)

Im not familiar with that equation I dont think we covered that in our class.

I have no idea how to read the problem even to begin to answer it. It all makes no sense and the book my teacher uses is useless... I tried drawing out a diagram and I have tried the force=mgsin(theta) but I dont have the mass to find that and thats pretty much the only thing I know to try to do.

5. Oct 9, 2004 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?