Problme with word problems

• Thread starter mathaTon
  • Start date
In summary, if I am asked to find the constants a, b, c, d such that the graph of f(x)= ax^3 + bx^2 + cx+ d has horizontal tangent lines at the points (-2, 1) and (0, -3), I would first find the derivative of the function, and then solve for the constants.
mathaTon
If I am asked to find the constants a, b, c, d such that the graph of
f(x)= ax^3 + bx^2 + cx+ d has horizontal tangent lines at the points (-2, 1) and (0, -3).

I am not sure what to go about doing it...is that asking me to find what? (I don't know what do the constant stand for? in form of y= mx+b?)

I know though, the first thing I would do is, find the derivative of the function..."f(x)= ax^3 + bx^2 + cx+ d "

which would be...

f' (x) = 3 ax^2+ 2 bx+ c
then sub the value of x? x = (-2) into the last equation..
which will equal to
12 a- 4b+ c

nowwwwww? what do I do next?:grumpy:

and I have another q.

Given h= f 0 g, g(3)=7, g'(3)=4, f(2)=4, f'(7)=-6.
now how do I determine the h' (3)?

again i am half way through the answer...

I think thinking of solving it with product rule??
h(x)= f(g) x)) h(x)= f' (g(x) g'(x)

h' (x)= f' (g (3)= g'3= f' (7) (4) = (-6) (-4) = -24

soooo please help?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done the first problem correctly so far. You know the tangent line is horizontal when the derivative is zero, so you know the equation you found:

f' (x) = 3 ax^2+ 2 bx+ c

must be zero at x=-2. You also know the original equation,

f(x)= ax^3 + bx^2 + cx+ d

must be 1 at x=-2, as given.

You also have another set of equations, with f'(x) = 0 and f(x) = -3 at x=0.

Solve the simultaneous equations.

- Warren

chroot said:
You've done the first problem correctly so far. You know the tangent line is horizontal when the derivative is zero, so you know the equation you found:

f' (x) = 3 ax^2+ 2 bx+ c

must be zero at x=-2. You also know the original equation,

f(x)= ax^3 + bx^2 + cx+ d

must be 1 at x=-2, as given.

You also have another set of equations, with f'(x) = 0 and f(x) = -3 at x=0.

Solve the simultaneous equations.

- Warren
Hi Warren, thanks for replying..
But I don't get the part where you think _ must be zero ( do u mean the x value ?)

and how do u figure the value of 1 @ x= -2?

i am lost..I m taking a summer course it is going at fast as speed of the light..it is hard to absorb the material.

If there is a horizontal tangent at a point P=(x,y), then f '(x)=0 (the derivative)

mathaTon said:
Given h= f 0 g, g(3)=7, g'(3)=4, f(2)=4, f'(7)=-6.
now how do I determine the h' (3)?

again i am half way through the answer...

I think thinking of solving it with product rule??
h(x)= f(g) x)) h(x)= f' (g(x) g'(x)

h' (x)= f' (g (3)= g'3= f' (7) (4) = (-6) (-4) = -24

Take it a bit slower... you seem to be missing some vital parentheses h'(x) = f '(g(x))*g'(x). So for x=3:

f '(g(3))*g'(3)

Now try solving that

Office_Shredder said:
Take it a bit slower... you seem to be missing some vital parentheses h'(x) = f '(g(x))*g'(x). So for x=3:

f '(g(3))*g'(3)

Now try solving that
I feel like a loser..:uhh: oh well, let me give my best shot:shy:

Since h (x)= f (g (x))
then can I apply this ruling to solve for h (x)

f '(g(3))*g'(3) = 9? (by multiplying?)

Am I right?? anyone? Please

mathaTon said:
I feel like a loser..:uhh: oh well, let me give my best shot:shy:

Since h (x)= f (g (x))
then can I apply this ruling to solve for h (x)

f '(g(3))*g'(3) = 9? (by multiplying?)

f '(g(3)) = f '(7) from the info. f '(7) = -6. Multiply that by g'(3), and you get -24

You had it right the first time, I just couldn't tell because of the missing parentheses if you used the right method :redface:

Uhmm, ok, for the first problem:
You have 4 unknowns, namely a, b, c, and d. So you must need 4 equation to solve for them.
Horizontal tangent line has a slope of 0, right? Since it's parallel to the Ox axis.
So, at x = 0, and x = -2, the graph of f(x) has horizontal tangent lines. Or in other words:
f'(0) = f'(-2) = 0. Right?
This is the first 2 equations, right?
Given that the 2 points (-2, 1), and (0, -3) are on the curve. So you'll have another 2 equations:
f(-2) = 1, and f(0) = -3.
Having 4 equations, can you solve for the 4 unknowns?
Can you get this? Is there anything unclear? :)

1. What makes word problems challenging?

Word problems can be challenging because they require the use of critical thinking skills and the ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-life situations. They often involve multiple steps and require careful reading and interpretation of the given information.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for word problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for word problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems. You can also break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use visual aids or diagrams to help you understand the problem better.

3. What strategies can I use to solve word problems?

There are various strategies you can use to solve word problems, such as creating a table or chart, drawing a diagram, using equations and variables, and working backwards from the answer. It is also helpful to read the problem carefully and identify the given information and what is being asked.

4. Why is it important to check my answer for word problems?

It is important to check your answer for word problems because small mistakes in calculations or misinterpretation of the problem can lead to incorrect solutions. Double-checking your answer can help you catch any errors and ensure that your solution is accurate.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling with word problems?

If you are still struggling with word problems, don't be afraid to seek help from your teacher or classmates. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using different strategies, and practicing with similar problems. It may also be helpful to review the relevant mathematical concepts and equations.