1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probs and stats

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am just wanting to get a good starting point... not an answer to the question. Question: A desk contains three drawers. Drawer 1 has two gold coins. Drawer 3 has one gold coin and one silver coin. Drawer 3 has two silver coins. I randomly choose a drawer and then randomly choose a coin. If a silver coin is selected, what is the probability that i choose drawer 3? I am suppose to use Bayes rule to find probability. Thank you for any help

2. Relevant equations
    Bayes Rule that I used: P(S/D3)= [P(D3/S)P(D3)] / [P(D1/S)P(S) + P(D2/S)P(S)+P(D3/S)P(S)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I defined all I could: Drawer(D), Silver(S) and Gold(G).
    P(D1)=P(D2)=P(D3)= 1/3 b/c he has a one in three chance of choosing drawer 3.
    Pr(D1/S)=0(bc there are no silver coins in drawer 1)
    Pr(D2/S)=0.5 (bc there is only 1 silver coin out of two coins in drawer 2)
    Pr(D3/S)=1.0 (bc there are two coins in drawer 3 and both are silver)

P(S/D3)= [1*(1/3)] / [0+(.5*1/3) + (1*1/3)] =0.67% that it will come from drawer 3.

Am I close?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you are not. P(S|D3) is obtainable directly from the data (drawer 3 has one gold and one silver coin). You were not asked to find P(S|D3); you want to know P(D3|S). Also, 0.67% = 0.0067 ≈ 2/300. Maybe you meant 67%.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook