1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Process Calculation

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question is
    In the production of a drug having a molecular weight 192, the exit stream from the reactor flows at the rate of 10.3 L/min. The drug concentration is 41.2% (in water) and the specific gravity of the solution is 1.025. Calculate (i) The concentration of the drug in Kg/L in the exit stream
    (ii) Flow rate in Kg-mol/min.

The question I have is

When the concentration of the drug is given as 41.2%, is it by mass or by volume? Is there any convention which is followed by engineers in this context? I ask this because in many similar problems, I have the same doubt.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it's probably by weight percent, I'm not sure how well a molecule with such a high molecular weight would dissolve when it consists of almost 50% of the total volume.

4. Jan 9, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When it is not specified to be by weight or volume (they really should specify this), you can usually assume they mean by weight when referring to a drug unless you have some reason to believe the pure form is a liquid at room temperature.

5. Jan 9, 2006 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Jan 10, 2006 #5

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I asked my prof and he also said that unless it is specifed otherwise, I should take it as mass percentage.

Thanks for the help all.

7. Jan 10, 2006 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what does this have to do with anything in reference to the original post?

8. Feb 10, 2010 #7
    its solution is not too much difficult b/c you should solve in number of ways either my mass or by volume calculation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?