Product between angles

1. Exist an geometric interpretation for the multiplication of 2 angles? Or exist an geometric interpretation for the square/cube of an angle?

2. jcsd
  3. adjacent

adjacent 1,533
    Gold Member

Your question is rather vague.Please Explain it more.

4. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,649
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As in: ##\theta_1+\theta_2## would mean that an object underwent two rotations ... so what would ##\theta_1\times\theta_2## mean?

Angles don't have any dimensions - so multiplying angles is the same as scaling them.

5. If I had asked what geometrically means the sum of 2 angles, you, probably, show me a draw like:

[​IMG]

But if I ask what means α×β, what draw you show me for illustrate such product?

But exist the solid angles...

6. Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I have never come across a situation where angles are multiplied together. To the best of my knowledge there is no reason to do this, so there is no geometric interpretation.

7. I was thinking if the solid angle could have some relationship with the product between plane angles...

8. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,649
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We-ell, by analogy to multiplying two lengths you could argue for an angle-equivalent to an area but I don't know what that would mean.

The area of the surface of a unit sphere inside angles ##\theta## and ##\phi## would be (approximately) ##\theta\times\phi## ... that the sort of thing you are thinking of?

(Here the angles have to be specially defined.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  9. Yeah! But, I was looking for a exact correlation not approximate...

10. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,649
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well you could work out the exact version if you like - that's just algebra.
    How do you find the area of a bit of a sphere?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted