Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product between angles

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    Exist an geometric interpretation for the multiplication of 2 angles? Or exist an geometric interpretation for the square/cube of an angle?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

Your question is rather vague.Please Explain it more.

4. Feb 2, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As in: ##\theta_1+\theta_2## would mean that an object underwent two rotations ... so what would ##\theta_1\times\theta_2## mean?

Angles don't have any dimensions - so multiplying angles is the same as scaling them.

5. Feb 2, 2014 #4
    If I had asked what geometrically means the sum of 2 angles, you, probably, show me a draw like:

[​IMG]

But if I ask what means α×β, what draw you show me for illustrate such product?

But exist the solid angles...

6. Feb 2, 2014 #5

Mark44

Insights Author

Staff: Mentor

I have never come across a situation where angles are multiplied together. To the best of my knowledge there is no reason to do this, so there is no geometric interpretation.

7. Feb 2, 2014 #6
    I was thinking if the solid angle could have some relationship with the product between plane angles...

8. Feb 2, 2014 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We-ell, by analogy to multiplying two lengths you could argue for an angle-equivalent to an area but I don't know what that would mean.

The area of the surface of a unit sphere inside angles ##\theta## and ##\phi## would be (approximately) ##\theta\times\phi## ... that the sort of thing you are thinking of?

(Here the angles have to be specially defined.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  9. Feb 3, 2014 #8
    Yeah! But, I was looking for a exact correlation not approximate...

10. Feb 3, 2014 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well you could work out the exact version if you like - that's just algebra.
    How do you find the area of a bit of a sphere?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted