Find Product Identity with ABCD & Triangular Variables

In summary: So the square of any number can be partitioned by products of triangular numbers (just apply the former to the prime factors of the number).Here's another funny one, that reminds me of how the rows of the Pascal Triangle add up to a power of 2.
ramsey2879
Challenge to find a identity for the product abc, wherein each term contains a triangular variable as a factor and a, b, c are each separately used as the sole variable of the argument in at least one of the variable triangular numbers.
My solution is

[Tex]abc = T_{(c+ab)} - aT_{b} - T_{c} - b^{2}T_{(a-1)} [/Tex]

Can anyone do better?

Anyone want to try one for the product "abcd"?

FYI T_(x) = x(x+1)/2;

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since T(n+1) - T(n) = n+1, you can always try

abc = (T(a+1) - T(a) - 1) (T(b+1) - T(b) - 1) (T(c+1) - T(c) - 1)

and a similar thing for abcd.

-------- edit:
Sorry, that was really stupid. Just use T(n) - T(n-1) = n to produce

abc = (T(a) - T(a-1)) (T(b) - T(b-1)) (T(c) - T(c-1))

Dodo said:
Well, ... you can alway use T(n) - T(n-1) = n to produce

abc = (T(a) - T(a-1)) (T(b) - T(b-1)) (T(c) - T(c-1))
Silly that I didn't think to prevent the writeup of your solution.
What if I required a triangular number with all variables in the argument as part of the solution in addition to the original requirements?

So, if I understood you correctly, you used the identity

T(x+y) = x*y + T(x) + T(y)

and applied it with x=a*b, y=c. This should give you an idea on how to extend it to abcd.

Another possibility is to multiply the identity on T(a+b) by c, to obtain

abc = c T(a+b) - c T(a) - c T(b)
---- Edit: Oh, sorry, this one has all variables in one term, but not all variables in the argument. Let be think a bit more about that.

Last edited:
Dodo said:
So, if I understood you correctly, you used the identity

T(x+y) = x*y + T(x) + T(y)

and applied it with x=a*b, y=c. This should give you an idea on how to extend it to abcd.

Another possibility is to multiply the identity on T(a+b) by c, to obtain

abc = c T(a+b) - c T(a) - c T(b)
---- Edit: Oh, sorry, this one has all variables in one term, but not all variables in the argument. Let be think a bit more about that.
How I got this is another issue altogether, but you are on the right track even though I got this by another means. Yes, you can solve for "abcd" using T(ab+cd) also, but with a little more work.

Here's another funny one, that reminds me of how the rows of the Pascal Triangle add up to a power of 2.

Take three integers, a, b, c. (The same can be done with two, or four.) Let n be an integer of 3 bits, that is, between 0 and 2^3-1.

Now define the function f(a,b,c,n) in the following way: each bit position in 'n' represents one of the integers a,b,c. The function f() will return the product of three triangular numbers: if the bits in 'n' are 111, the function returns T(a)*T(b)*T(c), but if the bits in 'n' are 000, f() returns T(a-1)*T(b-1)*T(c-1). And all the intermediate combinations: for example, if the bits in 'n' are 101, f() will return T(a)*T(b-1)*T(c). As you see, f() is defined such that the argument of each triangular number is (a) or (a-1), depending on the 100 bit of 'n'; the next argument is (b) or (b-1), depending on the 010 bit of 'n', and the next argument is (c) or (c-1), depending on the 001 bit of 'n'.

Now the magic trick: with these definition, the sum of f(a,b,c,n), for three fixed a,b,c integers, and n going from 0 to 2^3-1 (all possible combinations of 3 bits), ... the sum of these f() values is = (a*b*c)^2.

So the square of any number can be partitioned by products of triangular numbers (just apply the former to the prime factors of the number).

Last edited:
Dodo said:
Here's another funny one, that reminds me of how the rows of the Pascal Triangle add up to a power of 2.

Take three integers, a, b, c. (The same can be done with two, or four.) Let n be an integer of 3 bits, that is, between 0 and 2^3-1.

Now define the function f(a,b,c,n) in the following way: each bit position in 'n' represents one of the integers a,b,c. The function f() will return the product of three triangular numbers: if the bits in 'n' are 111, the function returns T(a)*T(b)*T(c), but if the bits in 'n' are 000, f() returns T(a-1)*T(b-1)*T(c-1). And all the intermediate combinations: for example, if the bits in 'n' are 101, f() will return T(a)*T(b-1)*T(c). As you see, f() is defined such that the argument of each triangular number is (a) or (a-1), depending on the 100 bit of 'n'; the next argument is (b) or (b-1), depending on the 010 bit of 'n', and the next argument is (c) or (c-1), depending on the 001 bit of 'n'.

Now the magic trick: with these definition, the sum of f(a,b,c,n), for three fixed a,b,c integers, and n going from 0 to 2^3-1 (all possible combinations of 3 bits), ... the sum of these f() values is = (a*b*c)^2.

So the square of any number can be partitioned by products of triangular numbers (just apply the former to the prime factors of the number).

But if p is prime then you have just T(p) + T(p-1) = p^2 which if deemed to qualify as a partition into the sum of products of triangular numbers would mean that any square could be partition into the sum of two such products.

Honestly though, I am very much impressed with this trick

So now we have two different ways to represent p^2 as a sum of triangular products: say my identity is called G(a,b,c) and your identity is called F(a,b.c) (the n part of your identity is not required since you take the sum of all possible combinations as n goes from 0 to 7).

Now G(1,p,p) = G(p,1,p) = G(p,p,1) = G(1,1,p^2) = F(1,1,p) = p^2

Is there a good cite for an explanation of your identity.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
Is there a good cite for an explanation of your identity.

I don't know - I just made it up during the weekend. But the "minimal case" T(n) + T(n-1) = n^2 is either in Wikipedia or in Mathworld. If you find some, let me know.

What is "Find Product Identity with ABCD & Triangular Variables"?

"Find Product Identity with ABCD & Triangular Variables" is a scientific method used to identify unknown products based on their physical and chemical properties, specifically the ABCD and triangular variables.

What are the ABCD variables?

The ABCD variables refer to the four major physical properties of a substance: appearance, boiling point, color, and density. These variables are used to characterize and identify a substance.

What are the triangular variables?

The triangular variables refer to the three key chemical properties of a substance: acidity/basicity, polarity, and solubility. These variables are used to further identify and differentiate between substances.

How does "Find Product Identity with ABCD & Triangular Variables" work?

This method uses a combination of physical and chemical tests to determine the values of the ABCD and triangular variables for an unknown product. These values are then compared to a database of known substances to identify the product.

What are the benefits of using "Find Product Identity with ABCD & Triangular Variables"?

This method is cost-effective, fast, and accurate, making it a useful tool for identifying products in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and cosmetics. It can also be used to detect counterfeit products and ensure quality control.