1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product in a reaction

1. May 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The product formed in the reaction of SOCl2 with white phosphorus is
    1. PCl3
    2. SO2Cl2
    3. SCl2
    4. POCl3
    2. Relevant equations
    NA

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can google that but I want to know that how can we know it intuitively or by ourselves?
    It was asked in a test and in test, internet is not available.

There must be a way or then why it is asked in exam because there are many reactions in World ( may be infinite) and to rote memorize each of it may not be fruitful as we have to look at our retention power?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

These days I wouldn't know without checking some reference book.

At the same time there was definitely a moment (when I learned for an inorganic chemistry exam) that I remembered many such things.

4. May 4, 2015 #3
    But in reference books also so many reactions are given maybe 100 or 150 for s - block. 300- 500 for p-block. They have done the balancing , written stoichometric coefficients, reactants and products.What is a clever way to learn?

Are the exams checking our rote memorization power by that?

5. May 4, 2015 #4
    It is in ncert page 177.

6. May 4, 2015 #5
    HaHa know that. Can you answer my post 3?

7. May 4, 2015 #6
    For P block, s block and hydrogen only (and only) NCERT is sufficient for JEE (adv). For metallurgy, d-block, inorganic qualitative analysis (not in ncert) you need to go in deep.

8. May 4, 2015 #7
    Do you know every reaction given in NCERT of s block and p block?

9. May 4, 2015 #8
    I need to revise the whole s block, p block and Hydrogen after which i can claim that(which I have not recently). But this is the minimal requirement that must be fulfilled to gain a score in inorganic.

10. May 4, 2015 #9
    What is a clever way of learning this reactions as I have asked in post 3 ?
    You may have read that chapters earlier also in 11th grade but the thing is of retaining.
    Some chapters we remember because of interest.
    I was also trying to revise but it seems hard.

11. May 4, 2015 #10
    There is no clever way. In a week, study and revise the whole inorganic twice, (nowadays you will need more time dedicated as we don't have time). Revise, revise, revise......

12. May 5, 2015 #11

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes and there must be some reason beta-napthtol rings a bell, I must have known what it is used for once.:redface: :oldfrown:

13. May 5, 2015 #12
    So you have seen my other thread, involving β naphthol.:smile:
    I was just asking if you people know some tricks to learn inorganic chemistry the clever way to retain all.

So I think the conclusion reached is don't give importance to these topics so much or if you have the power learn it all.( I hope epenguin will not put me in his blacklist.:rolleyes: )
    In my opinion there must be a mechanism for these reactions or the people have not discovered that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted