1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product notation

1. Sep 9, 2005 #1
    I have a quick question. In my book, there is a question that says to express each of the following products in terms of [tex]\prod_{n=1}^\k\a{i}[/tex], where [tex]k[/tex] is constant. Now, my question is this: [tex]\prod_{n=1}^\k\[/tex]ka_i. Would i just pull the [tex]k[/tex] out becuase it is only a constant and move that to in front of the product? This almost looks like a property that is similar with summation, but I think I have to do more than simply move the [tex]k[/tex]. Anyone understand/assist? Thank you all. I hope everyone can understand my LaTeX. The number atop the product is supposed to be k, NOT 1. Damn latex. :devil:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2

sic

no, you multiply by k every time, meaning that outside it would turn into k^k

4. Sep 9, 2005 #3
    Ok, so on the outside of the product, I would have k^k=product a_i?

I have another question that just blows my mind:

The product is the same, but it reads ia_i. There is no k in the question, how am I to write this in terms of k?!?!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?