Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of Diagonal Matrices

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    If we take an nxn diagonal matrix, and multiply it by an nxn matrix C such that AC=CA, will C be diagonal? I know, for instance, if C is a matrix with ones in every entry, AC=CA holds. But is there a more general way to format such a counterexample, or have I already provided a sufficient "proof"?

Thanks in advance. This isn't a homework question.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2&0\\0&2\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\0&1\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}2&2\\0&2\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\0&1\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}2&0\\0&2\end{array}\right) [/tex]
    DonAntonio

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

When you disprove a statement by providing a counter-example, one counter-example is sufficient. There is no need to provide more.

5. Apr 28, 2012 #4

Yes, of course. Whom are you addressing and why?

DonAntonio

6. Apr 28, 2012 #5

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The OP asked whether he had already provided a sufficient proof. The answer is yes - since had already provided one counter-example, this is sufficient to disprove the original statement. That's all I'm saying.

7. Apr 28, 2012 #6

Good. This time you provide a quote of whom you're addressing and thus we know. The last time we, or at least I, didn't know.

DonAntonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook