Is every component of a product of Hausdorff spaces also Hausdorff?

• Thread starter mathboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, a product of Hausdorff spaces is always Hausdorff and the converse is also true for a finite number of spaces. However, if any of the spaces is empty, then the product is also empty. Moreover, the cartesian product of spaces can be viewed as the collection of all functions that correspond to the "n-tuples" of the spaces, making it easy to show that the product is empty if any of the spaces is empty.
mathboy
I know that a product of Hausdorff spaces is Hausdorff. Is the converse also true? That is, if A_1 x A_2 x A_3 x... is Hausdorff, then is each A_i Hausdorff?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. Given any subset A of a Hausdorff space X we can give it the subspace topology. Then for x,y in A we can find disjoint open subsets U,V of X containing x and y. By definition of the subspace topology [tex]$ U \cap A$[/tex] and [tex]$ V \cap A$[/tex] are disjoint and open in A and contain x and y respectively as required (to be completely rigourous you need to show that A_i with the subspace topology inherited from A_1xA_2x... is the same as A_i itself, but this is not hard).

Equivalently you could try proving that for an arbitrary Y and some non-Hausdorff space X, XxY is never Hausdorff.. I don't think this would be too difficault.

Notation: PX_i = cartesian product of X_i, i in index set I.

Suppose PX_i is Hausdorff. For some j in I, let a_j and b_j be two distinct points in X_j. Let a and b be two points in PX_i, where the jth component of a and b are a_j and b_j respectively, and all other components of a and b are equal. Then a not=b and so, since PX_i is Hausdorff, there exist disjoint open sets containing a and b, and therefore there exist disjoint basis elements B_a and B_b (of PX_i) containing a and b respectively. Now basis elements in PX_i are of the form B_a = PU_i, B_b = PV_i, where the U_i and V_i are open in X_i (and U_i,V_i = X_i for all but finitely many values of i if the product topology is being used, but that’s not important in this proof). Since a and b only differ in their jth component, so that U_i and V_i cannot be disjoint for any i not= j, then B_a and B_b can only be disjoint if U_j and V_j are disjoint. Thus U_j and V_j are disjoint open sets in X_j containing a_j and b_j respectively, so that X_j is Hausdorff. Since j was arbitrary, then each X_i is Hausdorff for all i in I.

Another way to prove it is to follow olliemath's idea and view X_j as a subspace of PX_i by using PY_i, where Y_j = X_j and Y_i = any fixed point in X_i. I did that proof as well, and both proofs are of the same length (actually the second proof was a bit longer because I had to show that the subspace topology PY_i inherits as a subspace of PX_i is the same as the product/box topology of PY_i with each Y_i viewed as a subspace of X_i).

Last edited:
This is in fact a very important and well known result. Indeed this result holds for an arbitrary product (i.e. not just for a countable number of Hausdorff spaces).

actually its false, since the empty set is hausdorff.

mathwonk, you raise an interesting point. Question:

If say, P is the empty set with the discrete topology and H is another hausdorff space,
will PxH be homeomorphic to H?

Intuitively I expect this to hold. Let's define f : PxH -> H by f(p,h) = h

It is certainly continuous (it is a projection map) and onto. Opennes seems to hold as well. The only problem that could crop up may be to show 1-1. Perhaps a classic vacuous argument could be employed here.

Supposing that the hypothesis holds, could you please explain why the result posed in the first post fails to hold if the empty set is included.

Singularity said:
If say, P is the empty set with the discrete topology and H is another hausdorff space,
will PxH be homeomorphic to H?
PxH is empty if P is empty because if f belonged to PxH, then f(1) would belong to P and f(2) would belong to H. But f(1) cannot belong to P because P is empty. So there is no such f.

The converse raised by the opening post is true if none of the component spaces is empty, that's the condition that I forgot to stipulate in my proof above.

Last edited:
Can a function "belong" to a space? I have never heard of this. Also, your argument only has one component, when it seems like it should have two. Am I missing something fundamental here?

Last edited:
Singularity said:
Can a function "belong" to a space? I have never heard of this. Also, your argument only has one component, when it seems like it should have two. Am I missing something fundamental here?

A cartesian product of spaces A_1 x A_2 x ... x A_n can be viewed as the collection of all functions f:{1,...,n} -> U (A_i) such that f(k) belongs to A_k for all k=1,...,n. It's a trivial exercise to show that there is a bijective correspondence between all the "n-tuples" and all such f. And this holds for arbitrary cartesian products as well.

Consequently, A_1 x A_2 x ... x A_n is empty if any of the A_i is empty, since any function would be undefined at i.

Last edited:
I still don't fully get it, but will get back to the books!
Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

Ciao

1. What is a product of Hausdorff spaces?

A product of Hausdorff spaces refers to the topological space obtained by taking the Cartesian product of two or more Hausdorff spaces. It is a common construction in topology that allows us to study the properties of multiple spaces simultaneously.

2. What are the properties of a product of Hausdorff spaces?

A product of Hausdorff spaces inherits the Hausdorff property, meaning that for any two distinct points in the product, there exist disjoint open sets containing each point. It also has the product topology, which is the smallest topology that makes all the projection maps continuous.

3. How is a product of Hausdorff spaces useful in mathematics?

A product of Hausdorff spaces is useful for studying the properties of Cartesian products, which appear naturally in many mathematical objects. It is also a helpful tool in proving results about topological spaces, such as Tychonoff's theorem which states that the product of compact spaces is compact.

4. Can a product of Hausdorff spaces be non-Hausdorff?

Yes, a product of Hausdorff spaces can be non-Hausdorff. This can happen if one or more of the individual spaces in the product is non-Hausdorff. However, if all the spaces in the product are Hausdorff, then the product will also be Hausdorff.

5. How does the product of Hausdorff spaces relate to the product of topological spaces?

The product of Hausdorff spaces and the product of topological spaces are closely related, but they are not the same. The product of topological spaces only requires the projection maps to be continuous, while the product of Hausdorff spaces has the additional requirement of being Hausdorff. In other words, the product of Hausdorff spaces is a stricter version of the product of topological spaces.