Product of Inertia: Exploring Its Concept & Examples

In summary, the product of inertia is the value that determines how stable something is when it is rotated.
Thales
I'm wondering what the product of inertia is.

What I mean is this, while I know the mathematical formula for it, I don't understand the underlying concept.

For instance, I understand the moment of inertia, 'I', because I can relate it to the kinetic energy of rotation of a body. I also understand it in terms of rotation about an axis.

So that, 1/2mv^2 = 1/2mwr^2 ... where v = wr, v is the linear velocity, w the angular velocity, and r the radius, or radial distance, of a point from the center of rotation of the body. So, I = mr^2 for each mass unit of the body, or in integral form: I = ∫ r^2 dm

However, the product of inertia isn't clear to me. I don't see the relation to kinetic energy or rotation (what's the axis of rotation?). My text gives a rather thin explanation for it. Can anyone give a concrete description of what it is, with examples?

Many thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Thales,

Welcome to the forums.

The product of inertia is related to the moments of inertia.

Imagine you have a ceiling fan which is operating correctly (no wobble). The fan has a specific non-zero moment of inertia about the center of rotation. That value for the moment of inertia does not relate any information about the balance of the object.

For example, if you attached a weight to one of the fan blades, the moment of inertia would go up, but there would be no way to distinguish it from a evenly distributed fan with heavier blades.

The product of inertia is what you need to determine rotational stabilities. In the case of the balanced fan, the product of inertia is zero, and there is no wobble. With the weight on one blade, the product of inertia becomes non-zero and it affects the rotational stability of the fan.

Hopefully that helps,

Thanks Enigma. That definitely helped.

Although I'm still trying to make sense out of the math for the product of inertia. I'd like to see how it was derived.

1. What is the product of inertia?

The product of inertia is a mathematical concept used to describe the distribution of mass in an object or system. It takes into account both the mass and the position of the mass relative to a certain axis of rotation.

2. How is the product of inertia calculated?

The product of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle in a system by the distance of that particle from the axis of rotation, and then summing these values over the entire object or system.

3. What is the significance of the product of inertia?

The product of inertia is important in understanding the rotational motion of objects. It helps to determine the object's moment of inertia, which is a measure of its resistance to rotational acceleration. It is also used in the equations of motion for rigid bodies.

4. Can you provide an example of the product of inertia in action?

An example of the product of inertia can be seen in a spinning top. As the top spins, it has a certain moment of inertia that determines how easily it can be accelerated or decelerated. If the mass is distributed evenly, the top will spin smoothly. However, if there is a concentration of mass on one side, the top will wobble due to the difference in product of inertia on each side.

5. How does the product of inertia differ from the moment of inertia?

The product of inertia and moment of inertia are related concepts, but they are not the same. The product of inertia takes into account the distribution of mass in an object, while the moment of inertia only considers the total mass and its distance from the axis of rotation. The product of inertia is also a vector quantity, while the moment of inertia is a scalar quantity.