Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of infinite sum

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    Hi this the first time I've got completely stuck and need some advice. I'm trying repeat a (supposedly simple) derivation that appeared in a recently published paper. The details are not important, but I am stuck on a part of that calculation that they skip over.

They have a finite product (over [tex]\nu[/tex]) of infinite sums and seem to wave a magic wand and arrive at an infinite sum of finite products, thus:

[tex]
    \prod_{\nu} \sum_{k_{\nu}=-\infty}^{\infty} a_{k_{\nu}} \to \sum_{k}\prod_{\nu}a_{k_{\nu}}
    [/tex]

This is clearly not a general statement as the trivial example below shows.

[tex]
    \prod_{i=1}^{I}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2} \ne \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{2I}}
    [/tex]

So does anyone have any idea how to swap the order of a finite product of an infinite sum? maybe there are some conditions [tex]a_{k_{\nu}}[/tex] has to obey for it to be valid.

Hope someone out there can help!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your trivial example is incorrect. i doesn't appear in the terms of the left side.

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3
    yes it does

[tex]
    \prod_{i=1}^{I}\sum_{n}\frac{1}{n^2} = \left(\sum_{n}\frac{1}{n^2}\right)(\ldots) = \left(\frac{\pi^2}{6}\right)^I \ne \sum_{n}\left(\frac{1}{n^2}\right)^I
    [/tex]

anyway, that's missing the point. We know this is not general. but is/are there any occasions when it can be done?

5. Mar 25, 2010 #4
    ok I've solved it. The key was in the "sum over all possible k" on the right hand side. Cheers anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook