Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of integrable functions

1. Jun 22, 2005 #1
    hello all

im in the middle of proving that if f and g are integrable functions then show that fg is also integrable

im up to trying to show that M_i(fg,P)-m_i(fg,P) is less than or equal to something that involves U(f,P)-L(f,P)<e^0.5 and U(g,P)-L(g,P)<e^0.5
    anybody have any ideas, if i make any improvements I will post it up

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Notice that

[tex]\int_a^b fg dx = \int_a^b \frac{(f+g)^2-(f-g)^2}{4} dx[/itex]

if that second integral exists. Show that it does.
  4. Jun 23, 2005 #3
    hello there

well I have spent some time on it but, i cant show that the integral exist because i dont actually know what these functions are, I tried using it with the upper and lower sums but i aint getting anywhere that way

please help

thank you
  5. Jun 23, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

can you, do,it if f,g are positive?
  6. Jun 24, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you seen the theorem that say that if f and g and integrable, then af+bg (where a,b are constants) is integrable?

With that and the theorem that (basically) says that if F is integrable and G is continuous, then the composition G(F(x)) is integrable, you show that (f+g)² and (f-g)² are integrable (because x² is continuous and (f+g)² is the composition of f+g by x²)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?