Product of primes

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
Given [itex]pq[/itex] where [itex]p < q[/itex] are prime, but either ([itex]p \equiv 1 \mod 4[/itex] and [itex]q \equiv 3 \mod 4[/itex]) or ([itex]p \equiv 3 \mod 4[/itex] and [itex]q \equiv 1 \mod 4[/itex]).

Is there a ppt algorithm that will distinguish the two possibilities?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
How many primes are [itex]\equiv 1 \mod 3[/itex]

pasmith
Homework Helper
More importantly, for how many primes [itex]q[/itex] is it true that [itex]q[/itex] is divisible by 3?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
More importantly, for how many primes [itex]q[/itex] is it true that [itex]q[/itex] is divisible by 3?

At least there's one of those!

The definition of prime says a prime is divisible only by itself and 1, hence only 3 fits for the occasion :P

You people must be some kind of super geniuses.

Given [itex]pq[/itex] where [itex]p < q[/itex] are prime, but either ([itex]p \equiv 1 \mod 4[/itex] and [itex]q \equiv 3 \mod 4[/itex]) or ([itex]p \equiv 3 \mod 4[/itex] and [itex]q \equiv 1 \mod 4[/itex]).

I'm not familiar with one, but I'm not too familiar with these sorts of things. Is this a cryptography problem? I thought that factoring primes was always more than polynomial time.

Infinite? I can't prove it. But why?

There are indeed infinitely many primes that are 1 mod 3. But that's not relevant.

If this problem is hard then it would make a very simple bit-commitment scheme.

pasmith
Homework Helper

I should clarify, for the benefit of future readers, that these were in response to the unedited original post which read

Given [itex]pq[/itex] where [itex]p < q[/itex] are prime, but either ([itex]p \equiv 1 \mod 3[/itex] and [itex]q \equiv 3 \mod 3[/itex]) or ([itex]p \equiv 3 \mod 3[/itex] and [itex]q \equiv 1 \mod 3[/itex]).

Ahh, I was quite confused.

Somebody clean up all the useless replies here please.