1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of two eventually increasing sequences which is not eventually increasing

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give an example to show that it is not necessarily true that the product of two eventually increasing sequences is eventually increasing.

2. Relevant equations
    a sequence is eventually increasing if for N[itex]\in[/itex] natural numbers, a[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] [itex]\geq[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex] for all n>N.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I know this is merely proof by counterexample. I find one example to show that the product of two eventually increasing sequences is not necessarily eventually increasing. The only catch is that I have no idea where to start. There are infinitely many eventually increasing sequences I could multiply together. I know the end goal is to show that a[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] - a[itex]_{n}[/itex] is decreasing or eventually decreasing for all n.
    So, ideally, I'd end up with something like -x[itex]^{2}[/itex] after a[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] - a[itex]_{n}[/itex]. I don't want a specific example which will solve this problem. Some guidance as to where to begin would be greatly appreciated, though!
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try picking an eventually increasing sequence whose values are negative.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    Sorry that I took an eternity to reply. I was at a study session for linear algebra. Thanks so much, Dick. I think you've helped on every question I've posted here. I really appreciate it. I tripped myself up by only thinking about positive sequences. I took increasing and mistakenly correlated it with positive, too. Immediately after your hint, I thought about -1/n, and then found my solution. This series and sequences course has managed to confuse me more than any previous math class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook