Product of Uniformly Continuous Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the product of two uniformly continuous and bounded functions on a subset of real numbers is also uniformly continuous. The proof involves using the definition of uniform continuity and the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem. One flaw in the argument is assuming that the subset is bounded and closed, which may not always be the case.
Icebreaker
"Let [tex]h[/tex] and [tex]g[/tex] be uniformly continuous on [tex]I\subset\mathbb{R}[/tex] and are both bounded. Show that [tex]hg[/tex] is uniformly continuous."

h and g are uniformly continuous and bounded on I implies that h and g are continuous and bounded on I. This implies that hg (h times g) is continuous and bounded on I. Let f(x) = h(x)g(x).

Assume that f is continuous on I but not uniformly, then there exists e>0 such that for all d>0, there exists x and y in I such that |x-y|<d and |f(y)-f(x)|>e. In particular, for every n>0, there exists x_n and y_n in I such that |y_n - x_n|<1/n and |f(y_n)-f(x_n)|>e. Since {x_n} is a sequence in I, by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, there exists a subsequence x_n_p converging to z in I. As y_n_p = x_n_p + (y_n_p - x_n_p) for every n, and {y_n_p - x_n_p} converges to 0, {y_n_p} also converges to z. Since f is continuous at z, {f(y_n_p)-f(x_n_p)} converges to f(z)-f(z) = 0. This contradicts the assumption that |f(y_n_p)-f(x_n_p)|>e for all n. Hence, f must be uniformly continuous on I.

Does anyone see any flaws in that argument? I did it without referring to the fact that h and g are both bounded.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can prove this "directly" from the definition. This will be a useful identity:

|f(x)g(x) - f(y)g(y)| = |f(x)g(x) - f(x)g(y) + f(x)g(y) - f(y)g(y)|.

The problem with your proof is this:

Since {x_n} is a sequence in I, by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem...

You assume that I is bounded (and later you assume that it's closed too). Which you really can't.

Last edited:
Darn it. I thought something was amiss. Thanks.

What is a product of uniformly continuous functions?

A product of uniformly continuous functions is a mathematical operation that combines two or more functions together, where each function is uniformly continuous. This means that the functions have a constant rate of change and their graphs are smooth and continuous without any sudden jumps or breaks.

Why is the concept of product of uniformly continuous functions important?

The concept of product of uniformly continuous functions is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of multiple functions at the same time. It is particularly useful in solving real-world problems and in various branches of mathematics, such as calculus and analysis.

How is the product of uniformly continuous functions calculated?

The product of uniformly continuous functions is calculated by multiplying the individual functions together. For example, if we have two functions f(x) and g(x), their product would be given by f(x) * g(x).

Can the product of uniformly continuous functions be uniformly continuous?

Yes, the product of uniformly continuous functions can also be uniformly continuous. This is because a product of two uniformly continuous functions results in a new function that is still smooth and continuous without any sudden jumps or breaks, as long as the individual functions are also uniformly continuous.

What are some practical applications of product of uniformly continuous functions?

The product of uniformly continuous functions has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model complex systems, predict future outcomes, and analyze the behavior of various phenomena. For example, in physics, the product of two uniformly continuous functions can represent the position and velocity of an object in motion.