1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of Uniformly Continuous Functions

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    "Let [tex]h[/tex] and [tex]g[/tex] be uniformly continuous on [tex]I\subset\mathbb{R}[/tex] and are both bounded. Show that [tex]hg[/tex] is uniformly continuous."

h and g are uniformly continuous and bounded on I implies that h and g are continuous and bounded on I. This implies that hg (h times g) is continuous and bounded on I. Let f(x) = h(x)g(x).

Assume that f is continuous on I but not uniformly, then there exists e>0 such that for all d>0, there exists x and y in I such that |x-y|<d and |f(y)-f(x)|>e. In particular, for every n>0, there exists x_n and y_n in I such that |y_n - x_n|<1/n and |f(y_n)-f(x_n)|>e. Since {x_n} is a sequence in I, by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, there exists a subsequence x_n_p converging to z in I. As y_n_p = x_n_p + (y_n_p - x_n_p) for every n, and {y_n_p - x_n_p} converges to 0, {y_n_p} also converges to z. Since f is continuous at z, {f(y_n_p)-f(x_n_p)} converges to f(z)-f(z) = 0. This contradicts the assumption that |f(y_n_p)-f(x_n_p)|>e for all n. Hence, f must be uniformly continuous on I.

Does anyone see any flaws in that argument? I did it without referring to the fact that h and g are both bounded.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    You can prove this "directly" from the definition. This will be a useful identity:

|f(x)g(x) - f(y)g(y)| = |f(x)g(x) - f(x)g(y) + f(x)g(y) - f(y)g(y)|.

The problem with your proof is this:

You assume that I is bounded (and later you assume that it's closed too). Which you really can't.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    Darn it. I thought something was amiss. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?