Rate of Change of Area of Triangle with Changing Base and Height

In summary, the base b and height h of a triangle change with time t according to b = (t+1)^2 and h = t^2 + 1. To determine the rate of change of the area of the triangle when t = 3, we use the formula A = (1/2)(b)(h) and take the derivative with respect to t, yielding dA/dt = t^3 + 2t^2 + 4t + 1. However, there were errors in the initial attempt to use the product rule, and the correct derivative should be 2t^3 + 3t^2 + 2t + 1.
fghtffyrdmns

Homework Statement

Question: the base b and height h change with a time t in such a way that b= [tex](t+1)^{2}[/tex] and h= [tex]t^{2}+1[/tex]
Determine the rate of change of the area of the triangle when t=3

Homework Equations

[tex]A=\frac {1}{2}(b)(h)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what to do here.

Do you just multiply it out using the area of a triangle? Or should I take the derivative of both then use the area formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
find the area in terms of t, then differentiate w.r.t t

You want to calculate dA/dt. Can you do that somehow?

I was thinking of doing something like this:
[tex]A=\frac {1}{2}(b)(h)[/tex]
[tex]A=\frac {1}{2}((t+1)^{2})((t^{2}+1))[/tex]

and continue from here.

thus then I can take dA/dt?

Are you asking for permission? If nobody's looking, go ahead and do it.

I was just wondering if it is correct :D

sounds good to me

I've been wondering, is it possible to use the product rule on 3 functions? Because I could split the (t+1)^2 into (t+1)(t+1) then just 0.5(t+1)(t+1)(t^2+1)

I'm not sure if this is allowed though since I've only see the product rule for two functions.

fghtffyrdmns said:
I've been wondering, is it possible to use the product rule on 3 functions? Because I could split the (t+1)^2 into (t+1)(t+1) then just 0.5(t+1)(t+1)(t^2+1)

I'm not sure if this is allowed though since I've only see the product rule for two functions.

Yes there is a three factor product rule:

(fgh)' = f'gh + fg'h + fgh'

But in your example the easiest way is to leave it as (1/2)(t+1)2(t2+1) and just use the ordinary product rule, which involves using the chain rule on one of the factors.

or just multiply the expression out before differentiating

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} A =\frac {1}{2} [/tex][tex](t+1)[/tex][tex](t+1)[/tex][tex](t^{2}+1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} A = f'(t)g(t)h(t) + f(t)g'(t)h(t) + f(t)g(t)h'(t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} A = (t+1)[/tex][tex](t^{2}+1)[/tex] +[tex](t+1)[/tex][tex](t^{2}+1)[/tex] +[tex](t+1)[/tex][tex](t+1)[/tex][tex](2t)[/tex]

the d/dx for t+1 is just 1.

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} A = t^{3}+t+t^{2}+1+t^{3}+t+t^{2}+1+2t^{2}+4t+2t[/tex]

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} A = 2t^{3}+4t^{2}+8t+2[/tex]

Now, to multiply the [tex]\frac {1}{2}[/tex] in.

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} A = t^{3}+2t^{2}+4t+1[/tex]

Is this correct? Something doesn't seem right.

If I multiply it out, I get this as the derivative:

[tex] 2t^{3}+3t-2t[/tex]

which seems to be a more reasonable answer.

You both have it wrong. If you multiply it out you should get:

2t3 + 3t2 + 2t + 1

LCKurtz said:
You both have it wrong. If you multiply it out you should get:

2t3 + 3t2 + 2t + 1

But why is that answer different if I used the product rule?

fghtffyrdmns said:
[tex]\frac {d}{dx} A = (t+1)[/tex][tex](t^{2}+1)[/tex] +[tex](t+1)[/tex][tex](t^{2}+1)[/tex] +[tex](t+1)[/tex][tex](t+1)[/tex][tex](2t)[/tex]

the d/dx for t+1 is just 1.

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} A = t^{3}+t+t^{2}+1+t^{3}+t+t^{2}+1+2t^{2}+4t+2t[/tex]

Two problems.
1) You are not taking the derivative with respect to x; there is no x in the problem which means your derivative would be 0. You want [tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex].
2) The last product in the sum was not distributed properly. You should have gotten 2t3 + 4t2 + 2t, not 2t2 + 4t + 2t.

1. What is the product rule on a triangle?

The product rule on a triangle is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of a function that involves the product of two other functions. It states that the derivative of the product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. How is the product rule used in geometry?

In geometry, the product rule is used to find the area of a triangle when given the length of two sides and the measure of the included angle. It states that the area of a triangle is equal to half the product of the two sides and the sine of the included angle.

3. Can the product rule be applied to any triangle?

Yes, the product rule can be applied to any triangle, whether it is a right triangle, acute triangle, or obtuse triangle. It is a universal formula that can be used to find derivatives and areas of all types of triangles.

4. What are some real-world applications of the product rule on a triangle?

The product rule on a triangle can be used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the rate of change of a function in engineering design, to find the optimal production level in economics, or to determine the velocity of an object in physics.

5. Are there any alternative methods to finding derivatives or areas of triangles?

Yes, there are other methods to find derivatives and areas of triangles, such as the quotient rule and the Pythagorean theorem. However, the product rule is a commonly used and efficient method that can be applied to a wide range of functions and triangles.