1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product Rule

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone. I'm trying to get my head around this product rule:

[tex] \nabla \times (A\times B) = (B\cdot \nabla )A - (A\cdot \nabla )B + A(\nabla \cdot B) - B(\nabla \cdot A) [/tex]

Ok, we have this

[tex] \nabla = (\partial /\partial x,\partial/\partial y,\partial /\partial z) [/tex]

and for dot products

[tex] a\cdot b = b\cdot a [/tex]

Therefore in the product rule given above, is it not the case

[tex] (B\cdot \nabla )A = A(\nabla \cdot B) [/tex]

and similarly, the other two terms on the RHS are equal?
    Thank-you for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Be careful. [tex]\nabla[/tex] is a vector operator not a vector. It will not commute the way you expect it to.
  4. May 15, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In fact, I would much prefer the notation [itex]B\cdot(\nabla A)[/itex] to [itex](B\cdot\nabla)A[/itex].
  5. May 15, 2008 #4
    Aha! I think I get it now! The brackets were confusing, because usually we have to evaluate the stuff in the brackets first right?

Does this mean [tex]\nabla [/tex] always acts on the vector directly to its right?
  6. May 15, 2008 #5

Hold on, this can't be right can it? Then we would have
    [tex]\nabla \times (A\times B) = 0 [/tex]

wouldn't we? Can someone please tell me what [tex](B\cdot\nabla)A[/itex] is?
  7. May 15, 2008 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First you evaluate [tex] \nabla A [/tex]. You get a vector field, i.e. a vector at every point of space. Then [tex] B \cdot(\nabla A) [/tex] would be vector field whose value at any point is the dot of B with vector [tex] \nabla A [/tex] at that point.
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  8. May 15, 2008 #7
    I'm sorry for being extremely thick, but then doesn't that mean that

[tex] \nabla \times (A\times B) = 0 [/tex]?

This makes no sense, because it means the cross product of any two vectors has zero curl? Surely [tex](B\cdot \nabla)\cdot A[/tex] is not the same thing as [tex]B\cdot (\nabla \cdot A)[/tex]?
  9. May 15, 2008 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

why does it mean that?
  10. May 15, 2008 #9

The second operation not a dot product. del.A is a scalar. So (del.A)B is the scalar (d/dxAx + d/dyAy + d/dzAz) times the vector B = d/dxAx*B + d/dyAy*B + d/dzAz*B

Also, remember the del is an operator so del.A is not the same as A.del. A.del is still a scalar though being applied to B to it gets pretty messy looking.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  11. May 15, 2008 #10

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, what I said was [tex] B \cdot (\nabla A) [/tex] is the same thing as [tex](B \cdot \nabla)A[/tex]
  12. May 15, 2008 #11
    Er, ok, what's the difference? A and B are vectors.
  13. May 15, 2008 #12

Oh, ok, this site explains it to me. Thanks for all your help everyone, taking time to answer my stupid questions :biggrin:
  14. May 15, 2008 #13

Homework Helper

Some people do not like to take the gradient of a vector since it is a dyad, and it makes them feel ickky inside.
  15. May 15, 2008 #14

Homework Helper

This is a confusing aspect of vector calculus.
    [tex]\nabla [/tex] acts to the right only.
    One may define a bidirectional del/nabla
    consider this bidirectional derivative
    it is a good and correct habit when working with vectors to switch to bidirectional form
    -hold all function left of operators constant
    -change operators to birectional
    -perfom manipulations ending with a form easy to conver to unidirectional form

recall this identity when working with products

[tex]\mathbf{(a\times\nabla)\times b+a\nabla\cdot b=a\times(\nabla\times b)+(a\cdot\nabla)b}[/tex]
  16. May 15, 2008 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's only ickky if you don't know that there are things which aren't vectors or scalars. There are also tensors (or dyads). Then it could make you queasy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?