Product Rule for Scalar Product: Verifying the Functions

In summary: Okay, so the derivative of a(t)\cdotb(t) is cos(t)-tsin(t)-2tsin(t)-t^(2)cos(t).And the other way was cos(t)-tsin(t)-2tsin(t)-t^(2)cos(t)-tSo they're the same!
danny_manny

Homework Statement

Look up, figure out, or make an intelligent guess at the product rule for the scalar
product. That is, a rule of the form

d/dt [a(t).b(t)] =?+?

Verify your proposed rule on the functions
a(t) = ti + sin(t)j + e^(t)k and b(t) = cos(t)i - t^(2)j - e^(t)k:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that i can differentiate each function separately and then take the scalar product of these two vectors?

which gives me d/dt (a) =i - cos(t)j - e^(t)k
and d/dt (b) = sin(t)j - 2tj - e^(-t)k

and then i would take the scalar product of these two vectors? but how do i verify that this result is correct?

Thanks Danny

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
danny_manny said:

Homework Statement

Look up, figure out, or make an intelligent guess at the product rule for the scalar
product. That is, a rule of the form

d/dt [a(t).b(t)] =?+?

Verify your proposed rule on the functions
a(t) = ti + sin(t)j + e^(t)k and b(t) = cos(t)i - t^(2)j - e^(t)k:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that i can differentiate each function separately and then take the scalar product of these two vectors?

which gives me d/dt (a) =i - cos(t)j - e^(t)k
The above is almost right. What's the derivative of et?
danny_manny said:
and d/dt (b) = sin(t)j - 2tj - e^(-t)k
Two of the terms above are incorrect.
danny_manny said:
and then i would take the scalar product of these two vectors? but how do i verify that this result is correct?
First off, you need to "look up, figure out, or make an intelligent guess" about what the derivative of the dot product of two vectors is.
Second, you are given two example vector funtions, a(t) and b(t). Take their dot product, and then differentiate that product.

Compare your result with what you found, figured out, guessed in the first part. If they are the same, then good.

whoops,
a'(t) = i + cost(t)j -e(t)k
b'(t) = -sin(t)i -2tj-e^(-t)k

Last edited:
danny_manny said:
whoops,
a'(t) = i + cost(t)j -e(t)k
b'(t) = -sin(t)i -2tj-e^(-t)
Now you're just guessing. You'll never be able to get this problem until you have the basic differentiate rules down pat.

Can you point out the terms that are incorrect after i differentiated.

In each of a'(t) and b'(t), the exponential term is wrong. What is d/dt(et)?

e^(t)

Yes, so why are you showing a'(t) = <omitted terms> -et?
And why are you showing b'(t) = <omitted terms> -e-t?

Ah no! I typed the question in wrong my apologies.

a(t) = ti+sin(t)j-e^(t)k
b(t) = cos(t)i-t^(2)j+e^(-t)

So taking the dot product of the two derivatives i get
a'(t) . b'(t) = -sin(t)-2tcos(t)-1

danny_manny said:
Ah no! I typed the question in wrong my apologies.

a(t) = ti+sin(t)j-e^(t)k
b(t) = cos(t)i-t^(2)j+e^(-t)

Well, that makes a difference. You and I were working different problems. With that change, your derivatives look fine.

danny_manny said:
So taking the dot product of the two derivatives i get
a'(t) . b'(t) = -sin(t)-2tcos(t)-1
That's NOT what I said back in post #2. Your formula is for the derivative of the dot product, which may or not be the same as the dot product of the derivatives.

Ok well doing that I get,

cos(t)-tsin(t)-2tsin(t)-t^(2)cos(t)-t

Which does not match the other way.

danny_manny said:
Ok well doing that I get,

cos(t)-tsin(t)-2tsin(t)-t^(2)cos(t)-t

Which does not match the other way.
You have a mistake above . What did you get for a(t)[itex]\cdot[/itex]b(t)?

tcos(t)-t^(2)sin(t)-1

Yes, now what do you get for the derivative of that dot product?

cos(t)-tsin(t)-2tsin(t)-t^(2)cost(t)-t

You are getting the relatively complicated stuff right, but are completely falling down on some really simple stuff. What is d/dt(-1)?

ah mustn't be my day :(

So the answer is,
cos(t)-tsin(t)-2tsin(t)-t^(2)cos(t)

nvm I looked it up.

1. What is the product rule for scalar product?

The product rule for scalar product states that when two functions are multiplied together, the derivative of the product is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

2. Why is it important to verify the functions when using the product rule for scalar product?

Verifying the functions is important because it ensures that the product rule is being applied correctly and that the resulting derivative is accurate. It allows us to check for any mistakes or errors in the process.

3. How do you verify the functions when using the product rule for scalar product?

To verify the functions, you need to take the derivative of each individual function and then apply the product rule by multiplying the derivative of the first function by the second function, and then adding the product of the first function and the derivative of the second function. The resulting derivative should match the derivative obtained using the product rule.

4. Can the product rule for scalar product be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule for scalar product can be extended to more than two functions by using the same process of multiplying the derivative of each function with the remaining functions and adding them together.

5. Are there any special cases where the product rule for scalar product does not apply?

Yes, the product rule for scalar product does not apply if one or both of the functions are not differentiable at a certain point. In this case, the derivative cannot be calculated using the product rule and alternative methods must be used.