Product Rule for xy'z': A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the product rule for three variables and its extension to the differentiation of \gamma mu with respect to u. The product rule is used to derive the differential equation d(\gamma mu)=m(1-\frac{u^2}{c^2})^{-3/2} du. It is clarified that the left side is a differential of \gamma mu while the right side is a differential with respect to u. The person asking the question is advised to start a new thread for their specific question.
Midas_Touch
How do I carry out the product rule for

xy'z'

Is it possible to do the product rule with y'z' and after that multiply it by x?

Physics news on Phys.org
What variable is this respect to? Is it [tex]\frac{d}{dx},\frac{d}{dy}[/tex],etc.

It's not respect to any variable. It's just three separate variable... for instance it can be xyz... so i was thinking that i first do the product rule for yz which is y'z + z'y and then i use this result and multiply it by x and x'. I am not sure if I am allowed to do this.

The product rule extends for three variables as follows. Let's say we have three functions that are in terms of x, we'll call them f(x),g(x), and h(x).

[tex]\frac{d(f(x)g(x)(h(x))}{dx}=f'(x)g(x)h(x)+f(x)g'(x)h(x)+f(x)g(x)h'(x)[/tex].

Jameson said:
The product rule extends for three variables as follows. Let's say we have three functions that are in terms of x, we'll call them f(x),g(x), and h(x).

[tex]\frac{d(f(x)g(x)(h(x))}{dx}=f'(x)g(x)h(x)+f(x)g'(x)h(x)+f(x)g(x)h'(x)[/tex].
Thank you, I really appreciate your help.

I have a question regarding the product rule.

Our modern physics textbook asks us to derive the following:

[tex]d(\gamma mu)=m(1- \frac{u^2}{c^2})^{-3/2} du[/tex]

Is it implied that this is with respect to u? I can see the chain rule here, but I'm not sure precisely how this differentiation is done.

First, please do not post a new question in someone else's thread. That is very rude- start your own thread.

Second, strictly speaking, the right hand side is a differential with respect to u while the left side is just the differential of [itex]\gamma mu[/itex] and is not "with respect to" anything. If you were to rewrite it as
[tex]\frac{d(\gamma mu)}{du}= m\left(1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}\right)^{-3/2}[/tex]
then the derivative on the left is with respect to u.

I can't tell you how to derive it since you haven't said what it is to be derived from- which, hopefully, you will do in a separate thread.

1. What is the Product Rule for xy'z'?

The Product Rule for xy'z' is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a function that is a product of three variables: xy'z'. It is a variation of the general Product Rule and is specifically used for finding the derivative of a function with three variables.

2. How is the Product Rule for xy'z' applied?

The Product Rule for xy'z' is applied by taking the derivative of each individual variable (x, y', and z') and multiplying them by the other two variables. The derivatives are then added together to find the final derivative of the function.

3. Why is it important to use the Product Rule for xy'z'?

The Product Rule for xy'z' is important because it allows us to find the derivative of a function with multiple variables. This is useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics and economics, where variables are often interdependent and their rates of change need to be determined.

4. Can you provide an example of using the Product Rule for xy'z'?

Yes, for example, if we have the function f(x,y,z) = xy'z', the Product Rule would be applied as follows: f'(x,y,z) = x(y'z') + y(xz') + z(xy'). This can also be written in a simpler form as f'(x,y,z) = y'z' + xz' + xy'.

5. Are there any special cases when using the Product Rule for xy'z'?

Yes, there are two special cases to keep in mind when using the Product Rule for xy'z': when one of the variables is a constant and when one of the variables is a constant multiple of another variable. In these cases, the derivative can be simplified even further, but the general steps of the Product Rule still apply.