Finding the Summation Equivalent of a Product

In summary: The same K as above.) In this case, the summands are a sum of products of the form $x_{i_1}y_{j_1}\cdots x_{i_n}y_{j_n}$ with weight $e_X^ke_Z^k$. This is often a convenient way to handle a polynomial where the terms have some symmetry based on the underlying sets.In summary, the product in question can be expanded using elementary symmetric functions and expressed as a polynomial with roots in the form of the given fraction. For a more general case, the product can be expressed as a sum of products with weights based on the elementary symmetric functions of the root sets.
EngWiPy
Hello,

I have the following product, and I am looking for a summation equivalent

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^K\left(1-\frac{1}{x_k+1}\right)[/tex]

Is this doable? I tried to use partial fraction but got nowhere!

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to combine the fraction to see where that leads?

jedishrfu said:
Have you tried to combine the fraction to see where that leads?

I did. The fraction becomes ##x_k/(x_k+1)##, but didn't know where to go from there!

jedishrfu said:
Next question is it ##x_k## or ##x^k## ?

It is ##x_k##. I have ##K## different variables.

EngWiPy said:
It is ##x_k##. I have ##K## different variables.

You could let ##y_k = \frac{1}{x_k + 1}## and then expand. The product is a polynomial with roots ##y_k##. The polynomial is the sum.

Likes jedishrfu
For ##K=3## I have

[tex]1-\frac{1}{x_1+1}-\frac{1}{x_2+1}-\frac{1}{x_3+1}+\frac{1}{(x_1+1)(x_3+1)}+\frac{1}{(x_2+1)(x_3+1)}-\frac{1}{(x_1+1)(x_2+1)(x_3+1)}[/tex]

I cannot see how this can be written as a closed form summation in the form of ##\sum_{k=1}^K(.)## or something similar.

If you have no further information about xk then there won't be a useful way to write it as sum. It is like asking to convert $$\prod_{k=1}^K z_k$$ to a sum. While technically possible you don't learn anything from it.

I don't have any further information about ##x_k##.

If you want a sum here is a way:
$$\prod_{k=1}^K (\frac {x_k} {x_k + 1})= exp[log(\prod_{k=1}^K (\frac {x_k} {x_k + 1}))]=exp[\sum_{k=1}^K log(\frac {x_k} {x_k + 1})]$$

peace,
Fred

That's an exponential.
Its argument has a sum.

First, consider the polynomial
$$P(x)=\prod_{k=0}^K(x+z_k)$$
Define the nth elementry symmetric function $e_n(Z)$ for the set of roots $Z=\{z_k\}_{k=0}^K$ to be
$$e_n(Z)=\sum_{1\leq i_1<i_2<\cdots<i_n\leq K} z_{i_1}z_{i_2}\cdots z_{i_n}$$
(Think of this as a sum of all possible -product- combinations of $n$ distinct elements from the set $X$.) As a personal preference, I will write $e_n(Z)=e_Z^n$. Confirm that
$$P(x)=\prod_{k=0}^K(x+z_k)=\sum_{k=0}^K e_Z^{K-k}x^k$$
Thus, we find that your product is the subcase for the root set $z_k=\frac{-1}{x_k+1}$ evaluated at $P(1)$.\\

For the more general product: given sets $X$ and $Z$ as defined above,
$$\prod_{k=0}^K(x_k+y_k)=e_X^K\ast e_Z^K$$
where $\ast$ is the discrete convolution with respect to $K$.

What is the summation equivalent of a product?

The summation equivalent of a product is a mathematical representation of multiplying a series of numbers together. It involves adding the numbers in the series instead of multiplying them.

Why would you need to find the summation equivalent of a product?

Finding the summation equivalent of a product can be useful in simplifying complex mathematical expressions and in solving certain types of equations, such as geometric series or growth/decay problems.

How do you find the summation equivalent of a product?

To find the summation equivalent of a product, you need to first identify the pattern in the numbers being multiplied. Then, you can use the summation formula (Σ) to add the numbers in the series. The formula is Σ(n) = n(n+1)/2, where n is the number of terms in the series.

What is an example of finding the summation equivalent of a product?

An example of finding the summation equivalent of a product is finding the sum of the first 5 even numbers, which would be represented as 2 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 10. The summation equivalent of this product is Σ(5) = 5(5+1)/2 = 15.

Can the summation equivalent of a product be used for any series of numbers?

No, the summation equivalent of a product can only be used for certain types of series, such as arithmetic or geometric series. It cannot be used for series with changing patterns or irregular intervals between numbers.