1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Production and decay of Kaons

1. Apr 23, 2014 #1
    Write down a reaction by which a K+ can be produced in a proton-proton collision and give the quark content of each particle involved.

Conservation of energy, charge, baryon number, lepton number, strangeness and isospin

How do I go about doing this? it has already given the p + p -> K+ reaction, im guessing I have to determine the other products that will allow conservation of the laws above? Do I just pick random particles, put them into the RHS of the equation and see if they obey conservations?

Thanks for any help on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.
    I would pick non-random particles according to the laws that would be violated by p + p -> K+ in order to fix them. There are many possible solutions, all will work, but there is a single easiest one.

4. Apr 24, 2014 #3
    excellent, thanks for the pointer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted